morris thwarts

steve morang

I have a 1916 morris type 3 with short curved decks and fir gunwales. I am looking for the length of the bow and stern thwarts. I do have the center thwart. And never having steamed gunwales any tips. Do I need to bend both sides of one end of the canoe together or can I bend one side of one end at a time. One side has a somewhat complete gunwale the other side is gone except for a 3 foot section on the bow. Could I possibly bend both gunwales on one side and flip one over? Maybe that's a little unorthodox. Thanks.

Can't help with thwart sizes, but for bending gunnels - especially outwhales, try steaming them in a plastic tube. I describe it here and others have described it on this site on many occasions.
Good luck
Sam

I have a 1916 morris type 3 with short curved decks and fir gunwales. I am looking for the length of the bow and stern thwarts. I do have the center thwart.

Steve, what is the length of your boat? WRT flipping, the rails are not symmetrical.

my ca 1915 17 foot Morris has thwarts bow and stern of about 28 1/4 to 28 1/2 inches. measured while in the boat so hard to get exact measurement.

I have a 1916 morris type 3 with short curved decks and fir gunwales. I am looking for the length of the bow and stern thwarts. I do have the center thwart. And never having steamed gunwales any tips. Do I need to bend both sides of one end of the canoe together or can I bend one side of one end at a time. One side has a somewhat complete gunwale the other side is gone except for a 3 foot section on the bow. Could I possibly bend both gunwales on one side and flip one over? Maybe that's a little unorthodox. Thanks.

Back