montagnais birchbark canoe

François Rothan

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I'm planning building a montagnais birchbark canoe, I know there is no outwale and has continuous lashing along the inwale. I have three concerns about my project:
1. Inserting the ribs without any space because of the continuous lashing and I'm afraid of squeezing and breaking the root lashing with the rib strength
2. The stem piece is outside the bark and than goes back inside, I really don't get this part!
3. I read the chapter of Adney's book about the planking. I undertsand that it is edge to edge but in a special way, do you know more about it.

Sorry this is very specific stuff...

Francois

I'm planning building a montagnais birchbark canoe, I know there is no outwale and has continuous lashing along the inwale. I have three concerns about my project:
1. Inserting the ribs without any space because of the continuous lashing and I'm afraid of squeezing and breaking the root lashing with the rib strength
2. The stem piece is outside the bark and than goes back inside, I really don't get this part!
3. I read the chapter of Adney's book about the planking. I undertsand that it is edge to edge but in a special way, do you know more about it.

Sorry this is very specific stuff...:confused:

Francois

The only person I know that may have the answers to your concerns would be Rick Nash. Give him a call

Back