model differences

pfd's

I thought they had to be some sort of life jackets, just could not put the correct words together. Thanks. Larry you're right on the juggling act of all those matters but hey it keeps me going . I really appreciate your offer on taking a look at the project at hand. I won't be available until sunday however and I don't want to mess up your weekend. But if you are available I'd welcome your pointers on what to do as well as see what your thoughts were on the condition of it.
Thanks, Jeff

Sunday would be better for me any way. You can email me an address phone etc. at lawmey@hotmail.com. I got a lot of help from other folks when I was way low in the learning curve so this is no favor, just paying off obligations I’ve incurred with others.

Larry Meyer said:
Now about my 240 Volvo wagon. Personally I think keeping 240s on the road ought to be a sub-category of the mission of the WCHA as 240 wagons are the perfect canoe carrying and canoe camping car. The so-called wagons being made today, the mini-vans, and the SUVs (SUV stands for “spastically up-lifted vehicle.” Sorry, Fitz, I know you drive a Ford Exploder, but a man has got to say what a man has got to say) don’t come near a 240 wagon when it comes to putting tires under a canoe (which is really all that cars are good for.)

That's the ticket; Now I have to find out where the local volvo dealer takes his trade ins. The Princeton, NJ area has more Volvo Wagons than any other place I've lived. Even w/ the SUEVEE popularity I still see alot of Volvo Wagons, used to call 'em Princeton Pickups...23 yrs ago even the local township had a few 240 sedans for police cars...till someone complained about foreign autos VRS the State Police sponsored police car program...Go figure, now Ford Owns volvo & the police all drive Crown Vic's so Ford won!

Larry Meyer said:
Ford won? Have you checked their stock price lately?

They deserve that, taking an old english marque and substituting a tarus body in place of a handcrafted body. Reliable components that ruined Jaguar's well established reputation that you had to have enough money to afford a car that spent 2/3 rds of the year in the shop...

GM is in the same shape and they have the same nerve placing a boxy body on a silverado chassis & calling it an H2 then doing the same w/ a trailblazer/envoy chassis & calling that an H3...

I was amazed when I looked under my friends H2 expecting to see something fashioned after the robust chassis of the HumVee & instead found a plain jane, off the shelf pickup truck w/ a one-off body & a stratispheric pricetag...

trailblazer/envoy is also the saab suv as well. the automobile industry as a whole is going down the chute. the only good ones you see are the ones at barrett jackson auctions. a bit pricey but it's a rolling car show.

I didn’t mean to start a whole car subcategory here. Until a few weeks ago, I last bought cars in 86 and 88 so I’ve paid no attention to the market or models. What seems true is that makers think there’s a big market in making cars for outdoorsy types, but their designs miss the mark. On Thursday I went to do quick paddle on the Charles and what is at put-in but a two acre Ford Explorer, and two yakkers loading up with the requisite step ladders. $30,000 car, $400 boat rack, and fifty cent plastic boats.

Eyeballed Jeff’s OTCA and its prime. Seats, decks, stems, inwales, outwales, ribs ends all in great shape. Some planking to do and maybe a rib. A coaming on the deck. Very good workmanship. Old Town at its best. Whoever had it before treated it well, except for a repaint job that was a disaster: thick rubberized pale blue green paint. Canvas may have still been good except for this paint job.

It definitely landed in the right hands.

jlundgren said:
trailblazer/envoy is also the saab suv as well. the automobile industry as a whole is going down the chute
It's also the Iszzu UTE too.. At least the Envoy got a V-8!:)

Most canoe decks are a single triangular piece of wood. On your canoe's decks, you have fitted a short curved arch of wood that I believe is even notched into the inwale. That's a coaming. Usually you find them on a very long deck.

I know, I know

It's the trim piece that fastens to the inboard edge of the deck on some canoes. It keeps all the water out when the waves wash over the bow. Well---ok I lied about that part but they're kinda cool on fancier canoes.
I'll bet someone has a photo.

Got to fan the flames... :)

Larry,
Why would anyone drive a Volvo, it is way too small to be usefull for anything, and besides, it's a "Volvo". Yuk :)

"Now about my 240 Volvo wagon. Personally I think keeping 240s on the road ought to be a sub-category of the mission of the WCHA as 240 wagons are the perfect canoe carrying and canoe camping car."

Actually I though the perfect camping vehicle is the full size van, plenty of room for 4 plus gear (and 6 if you are friends), plenty of distance up top to carry 2 canoes.

I do agreed about the mini vans though. in a laps of judgement, I downsized from the van to a mini-van, and hated it sense. Just not enough vehicle.

Am currently driving a Trailblazer, but that's just temperary. Hope/plan to sell it in a few months and get back to a truck, this time it will be a 1/2 ton extended cab w/8' box so I can carry a camper (for the wife). What I really want is a 1/2 crew cab with a box large enough to hold a camper but Dodge and GM don't offer this, Ford just now offers it but it has to be ordered.

Dan

240 suits my other driving needs (city and town) best. If you need truck or van for work, so be it. If you canoe or camp most often with 6-8 others and two canoes, van may be best choice.

MPG about 28. With Thule rack spaced to match thwarts, can load canoe from side by myself, no ladders, no rollers, and tie down in about two minutes. Back can take my 3-5 packs for canoe camping no sweat. Mine is 20 years old. Standard so I can always start it with a push. Minimal chips on board to fail.

Keep it simple.

Steve Lapey had a 4 wheel drive Blazer: total disaster. Trannie died. 3k to fix. He ditched it. Most folks need 4 wheel drive like a hole in the head.

:)

I'm not going to argue about the value of 4 wd, after using it this winter, there were all of maybe 3 days when I used it, it was sure nice to have then though. Here in MN, 2wd is hard to find, with maybe 200 4wd to 1 2wd (a guess), and if you want to sell it, you better have it.

"Most folks need 4 wheel drive like a hole in the head."

Being a "big" guy, I just don't like little cars, and the TB is too small inside, that's why the pu.

Dan

Re 4 wheel drive I have a bad case of local view. In metro Boston, like 40% of all cars around here are 4 wheel drive and these folks don’t need it, as they either drive plowed Interstates or narrow local roads. Ads suggest with 4WD, you can go 75 in any road conditions and that kills people.

I drove snow plows once for state of Indiana and have never even had snow tires on my car. Standard trannie and use your head.

I’m 6’1” and 240 is plenty big for me.

Well just got back from a quick errand and there’s fender bender at the end of my street. A Ford Exploder with right front fender crumpled and the wheel canted in about 45 degrees. You bet that sucker’s going to be expensive to get right.

And walking down there to have a look, I pass a neighbor with some new Ford-vo. It looks like the body of a squashed VW bug perched precariously on top of a shrunk Dodge Ramcharger truck chassis. Honest to god, tires the size of a Goodyear blimp and trunk space for a box of Kleenex. These things makes no sense at all.

Well I got to get off this.

:)))

Yup, I know an outfitter up in Ely who has several vehicles, including both 2w and 4w drive trucks. He told me that most of the time (95%?) he uses the 2w and never has a problem, winter or summer, even on the back logging roads.

Dan

Back