Marshall’s Cove Paints

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
With Jamestown Distributors discontinuing their VIP Program that allowed a once a year flat rate for free shipping, I’ve been looking at other suppliers for materials and supplies.
I came across Marshall’s Cove Paints. Several years ago I got a couple of samples. The seemed pretty good as I recall, but never followed through with a purchase. Has anybody been using it on their canoes and boats?

Dave, I spoke with Jamestown today. I buy a lot from them. Yes The VIP shipping is going away:( Their getting a new website next year and the free shipping will depend on the amount you spend on each order. But they haven't come up with an amount yet. I love Defender and Hamilton marine. We'll have to shop around and see how much we have to spend at Jamestown to get the shipping., and no I haven't used Marshall's cove paints but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Good to know, Dave. I can probably put orders together to hopefully get discounted shipping. We’ll see.
It was so damn convenient to order what you needed, when you wanted it and have free shipping.
What jerked me back to reality was that after my Free shipping had expired, I was gonna be charged $25 for shipping a box of #8 screws and two boat plugs. I immediately cancelled when I found out that there was no renewal of the VIP Free Shipping subscription. I would have paid double what the VIP charge was if they chose to keep it.
As to Marshall’s Cove, I may order from them next time I need some paint. Many colors to choose from.
If I do, I’ll post my thoughts.

At Defender Marine you can register with them as a commercial account and when you put your items in your shopping cart your discount will show up. I'm going to give it a try and see what the discounts come out to be. Might as well give it a try, can't hurt. I loved to be able to order a box of screws or a quart of paint from Jamestown any time and not worry about shipping.

All of this in the days of free shipping from Amazon and many e-bay listers.
Seems like some are going the wrong way.
Dan

The Jamestown VIP free shipping was available to anyone for $69. I do get a small discount based on volume at Jamestown, but it won’t offset the shipping costs.

I'm resurrecting this discussion to share my recent experience. I have also purchased my varnish and paint from Jamestown. I've been happy with their service and selection. Since I am not a "VIP" customer my habit has been to wait free shipping deals. Recently free shipping has not been offered so I was prepared to spend the long dollar. I got sticker shock when I priced out 2 cans of varnish, hazmat fees, shipping and taxes. I decided to look elsewhere.
I am not a fan of Amazon...I often find that they price items at absurd prices to cover the shipping costs that they offer for "free". I also don't like their business tactics and perhaps I am building that case but I digress. I used my wife's Prime account to purchase the varnish. I ordered it today. It will be here on Wednesday. I saved $30 by purchasing through Amazon. To get the best price I purchased 500ml cans. There would not have been as much of a saving had I purchased the one liter cans I normally buy (why?)...
I understand that a Prime account is not free but if you regularly purchase items from Amazon it can potentially pay itself back. Last week I received a shower door from Florida without paying for shipping. The estimated shipping cost was over $70. For this varnish order I saved $16.00 in shipping and $15.00 in Hazmat fees. The reason I purchased a shower door on Amazon is a story in and of itself. Local availability is a problem that is amplified by online purchases.

Back