Marquette Regional History Center Canoe Exhibit

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Hi All,

The Summer Canoe Display at the Marquette Regional History Center is a joint effort of the MI and Illinois Great Rivers Chapters coordinated by Denis Kallery.

Denis worked on this project for about a year working with the Museum to put together a diverse collection of canoes to share with the public.

The attached pictures are the early shots of the display as it has recently opened to the public with great reviews.

Thanks for all your work Denis,

Paul

Attachments

• canoe exhibit 009r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 009r.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 396
  • canoe exhibit 001r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 001r.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 388
  • canoe exhibit 005r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 005r.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 400
  • canoe exhibit 011r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 011r.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 380
  • canoe exhibit 016r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 016r.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 386
  • canoe exhibit 018r.jpg
    canoe exhibit 018r.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Wow, that's really a nice exhibit, certainly first class presentation. It's not likely I'll have a chance to go see it, but the pictures are appreciated.

Just for curiosity's sake, what is known about that light/dark strip canoe in the last photo?

Cliff

THANK YOU, DENIS for all that effort. I like the WCHA burgee on the courting canoe...

And Thanks to Paul for bringing this to the limelight, too! I may have to go visit Marquette...

Any chance we could get a review of the exhibit written for the Journal? Would make a great cover story!

Thanks Dennis for bringing this to the public. Your time and effort will be greatly appreciated! The exhibit is wonderful!
Wendy and John Kimpel

I have attached a few pictures of the five canoes I brought as they sit in the staging area prior to going into the exhibit.

The canoes from left to right; W.T. Bush alternating Mahogany and Butternut plank (early 1900's), B.N Morris (app 1907), Walter Dean Sunnyside Cruiser (1910), Wm English Model 20 (early 1900's), Canadian built Racing canoe 5/32 pine feather lapped planking, narrow ribs, pine thwarts.

I believe Dave Osborn brought the Thompson and the OT above the Morris Courting canoe brought by Ken Kelly, Pres. (WHCA). Ferdie brought the birch bark stuff.

I'm not sure about the other canoes so please add the info if you know.

Paul

Attachments

• Displaycanoes.jpg
    Displaycanoes.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Displaycanoes2.jpg
    Displaycanoes2.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 364
Back