Looking for Peterborough Canoe Part

patrickb02

Hi,

I recently restored an early 20th century Peterborough canoe. I am missing one of the metal Peterborough stamps on the side. Does anyone have any similar stamps for sale, or know where I can find one? Attached are some pictures of the existing metal stamp on the canoe.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 499
Hi Patrick
I think I saw another post asking the same question a while ago and it was suggested that they get some reproductions made by an engraver as it should be a fairly straightforward task.
It strikes me as odd that you appear to have them planted on top of some other plates so are you sure they are original?

Cheers

Alick

Thanks, Alick. Good question - I'm not sure. It's been in my great aunt's garage since the 40's. Her husband was the original owner. It's been in a state of disarray ever since I can remember. Do you think it would be worth taking off the plate to check under it?

I'll check that post - thanks for the suggestion. Out of curiosity, what is the best way to find a good nautical engraver?

Hi Patrick
Yes I would have a look under them and the lower set.They have often been messed about with.I worked on an old wide board canoe which just had rather large rectangular plates.These covered the impression of marks made by smaller ones underneath that were probably removed to avoid import duty when it came to the UK where I live :)

I wouldn't try and find a specifically nautical engraver It will probably just cost more because it has the word nautical in front just like anything that comes with the marine tag :) I use identitag.co.uk (but I am in the UK)
Cheers
Alick
www.woodencanoes.uk

Back