Looking for a Cheemaun Form

Ezra Smith

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all! I am planning on doing the North Forest Canoe Trail solo next summer, and am thinking about canoe options. I have an Atkinson Traveler that handles very nicely when paddled alone, but it seems like it would be too much of a burden for so long of a trip? What are your thoughts on this?

The other canoe that I am looking at is the 15ft Cheemaun. I do not have one of these yet, however there may still be enough time for me to make one by next summer if I can lay may hands on a form in the near future. I am in Maine, and have an Atkinson form that we could swap for a while if you would like.

Anyone have any tips for doing the NFCT with a wood and canvas boat?

I've done about half of it in a wood and canvas canoe. Bring duct tape, ambroid cement and try to get through as much of it as you can in the early season. The Maine sections can be rough on a boat late year in low water conditions.
The worst part for your boat is probably the Saranac down to the lake...there are other rapids in NH and Maine...but the Saranac (IMHO) is a PITA.
Brace yourself for 55 miles of carries. There are some pretty long ones but all of the through paddlers I've met have agreed that Mud Pond Carry is the worst. I think it's a character builder and an experience to have under your belt.
Many through paddlers use wheels on the long carries..they won't help you on the Saranac or at Mud Pond...but overall they may be a good idea. I still remember the NE carry from the first few times I did it..every step...
I love the AT..I regard it as the ultimate tripper canoe... that said, with it's half ribs and at 17 1/2 feet, some might think of it as a handful on the carries...not as bad as a 20 but it will get your attention. It is a super hull on big lakes, but solo..it might test you. I've seen days when it was all we could do to cross at Rockwood with two (strong) paddlers. You may encounter the same on Chesuncook.
I like the Cheemaun..you should drive up to Rollins shop and check one out... based upon my experiences I'd also be inclined to use a 15 or 16 for a solo NFCT and the AT if I had a partner. I'd also be looking at the Medford Traveler as a 16 foot solo tripper...seems like a pretty nice hull, not as flat bottomed at the Cheemaun..
As far as wood and canvas are concerned..no problem... just watch out for rocks...

Thanks for the tips, I guess that my biggest concern is not having time to get access to an appropriate boat in time for next summer. I have tried to build or restore a boat on a schedule, and it tends to ignore any time constraints that I try to put on it.

I am also thinking of bringing the hardware for a pole and making one on the trail instead of hauling it through the lakes in the Adirondacks and making one when I really need it. It sounds like the Saranac would be a good place to make it with all of the rapids in that stretch.

I am looking for a form. If you don't trade for a Cheemaun and want to sell your form, I may be interested. I'm in Northern Michigan.

I will keep you in mind, but I would encourage looking elsewhere for a form.

Last weekend I went to a lake nearby with my AT and with all the gear that I plan on taking. I paddled for 3.5hrs and went 9.6mi, giving me an average time of 23min/mi or about 3mi every 1hr and 10min. Granted the wind was pretty minimal, but I am heartened with how well it handled with me as the only paddler. I am in the process of making a moveable leather seat like the one by Azland Traditions: http://azlandtraditions.com/leather_Saddleseat.html

Back