Looking at a Penn Yan cartopper

JimT

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hope this is the right forum for this. Have a couple of questions about things from the photos I have available to me. There are splits in each of the corner posts at the transom, is that something to be concerned about? also the starboard gunnel has some deterioration at the bow, again is this a concern or not too big a deal? Overall the boat is in nice shape and I'm hoping could go in the water pretty much immediately.

penn-yan-cartopper-2134655.jpg penn-yan-cartopper-2134670.jpg penn-yan-cartopper-2134669.jpg

a couple of photos of the inside of the boat

penn-yan-cartopper-2134660.jpg penn-yan-cartopper-2134661.jpg

Neither of these conditions are worrisome. The boat appears to be in excellent condition structurally. I can't tell if the ribs are oak, but the bow handle was usually only used on trailboats.

Neither of these conditions are worrisome. The boat appears to be in excellent condition structurally. I can't tell if the ribs are oak, but the bow handle was usually only used on trailboats.

Gil, thanks for that input, that was reassuring. Looked at it today and committed to it. It's in very nice shape. The hull number indicates it's a GXH, which I take to be the car topper "Flier" model. The owner said he had previously had a 12 footer that also had the bow handle on it. I'm wondering if that was something folks could order as an extra from the factory.

p8,9 senior and flyer cartop.jpg

Got it out of the truck this morning. This is what the inside looks like, the prior owner had planned to re-varnish the interior and possibly repaint the exterior. I may follow that game plan once the cooler weather gets here.

I do need to get some oars for it. Anyone have any ideas for oars that are not-quite Shaw and Tenney but also a step-above Caviness? I'm looking at the Sawyer utility oars, anyone have experience with those for a basic, affordable oar? seem to be right in the middle, price- and quality-wise. thanks.

Attachments

• boat inside.jpg
    boat inside.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 246
Jim,
Jamestown Distributors sells a decently priced spruce oar. I bought a set for an aluminum row boat. They are pretty good. Better than hardware or box store brands.

Jim,
Jamestown Distributors sells a decently priced spruce oar. I bought a set for an aluminum row boat. They are pretty good. Better than hardware or box store brands.

thanks Dave, I'll check that out. appreciate it!

Back