location of tabs that hold in floorboards?

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
OK, I admit that I did not take enough photographs or notes when I was disassembling
this longitudinal strip built canoe, (16', maybe a Peterborough) and now I do not know how the brass tabs that hold in the floorboards were positioned. My notes do tell me that only 5 tabs remained in this boat, and which ribs they were attached to. There should be 10 tabs. Do all the tabs get mounted toward the top side of the floorboards, so that the floorboards get pinched up against the keelson? Do I assume correctly that there should be a minimum gap between the edge of the floorboard and the keelson?
Thanks for the help. Tom McCloud

Hi Tom,

I have one picture showing the clips on the outside of a multi-piece floor rack that show the clips on only the outside, but do think there are one or two pair on the inside near the keelson, just I don't have a picture of it. Let me know if you have one piece floor racks.

You will notice the inside edge wants to come up when you go to install them.

I'll have to get a picture of them later.

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• April128.jpg
    April128.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 561
Hi Paul, Thanks for responding. What I have are two very long, thin floorboards maybe 6 or 8" wide at center. Your photo shows 4 thin boards on each side of the keelson, but those tabs look identical to what I have. Where my floorboards 'twist' into the ends, they don't lay down, which made me think that perhaps tabs should be there to hold them down flat. Tom McCloud

Hi Tom,

Found some pictures of one piece floor boards in my Dey Brother's canoe (very rare).

You will notice a few clips on the top side edge and just at the bow and stern on the inside edge.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Attachments

• 0305140803b r.jpg
    0305140803b r.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 502
  • 0305140803a r.jpg
    0305140803a r.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 560
Mighty nice looking canoe! That's the way my floorboards will get secured. Since I had a (PM) question about floorboards, here are (not the best) photos. The boards are very thin, less than 1/4", and made from a white wood, possibly basswood. They are not the same width, so I assume that at some point a wider board was damaged, but shaved down and continued to be used. When I got this canoe the inside of the boat was painted dark green and these boards yellow. Everything has been stripped, sanded and repainted. Tom McCloud

Attachments

• STH71655.jpg
    STH71655.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 492
  • STH71656.jpg
    STH71656.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 471
Back