Linkanoe Instructions

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi all

Does anyone out there have a set of assembly instructions for a Linkanoe that they'd be willing to photocopy for me? I just acquired one and while it seems to be easy enough, I'd like to be able to referance the instructions. The boat I got is in need of a new canvas, and I am thinking that the instructions might be helpful in determining how the canvas goes on.

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark, there is no trick to attaching the canvas to the shell. The bungee cord sewn into the top edge of the canvas loops over the snaps screwed into the top edge of the shell. I can send you a copy of the original assembly instructions if you like. E-mail me with your address.

By the way, each linkanoe has a serial number stenciled on each shell panel. I'm interested to know what number you have. Should be something between 1 and 4000.

Regards,
Bob

Well what do you know - I never knew Linkanoes had serial numbers, and so I go look at mine and learn that I've got the Devil's own canoe - serial number 666. (I suppose it could be 999 depending on how you look at it, but that wouldn't be as much fun!).

Know anyone who can make replacement skins?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Guys,

I was finally able to get a good look at my Linkanoe in the daylight. I can find neither hide nor hair of a serial number. The section markings are barely visable so I am guessing that it was in the same paint. I was delighted to discover the assembly instructions tucked away in the little compartment of one of the decks. it was sort of like an unexpected present!

Mark

I'd appreciate learning more about the Linkanoe.

Edwin Link was a pretty amazing man- developed the mechanical Link Flight Simulator, then electronic flight simulators. He and his wife Marion then indulged their interests in underwater archaeology and oceanography. He developed the submersible decompression chamber so divers could dive deeper and longer, and he developed some of the very first deep sea and remotely-operated submersible vehicles. Because of our close ties with Link through oceanography (Florida Tech is a world-renowned center for research and education in oceanography and marine biology, and Link and his wife were early member of the Florida Tech community), the Link Foundation has been an important benefactor for Florida Tech. Several buildings, student scholarships and digital information systems are named after the Links.

Sooo... because of all this, our library houses an important collection of Link-related items including a Linkanoe, which I am putting together for display in the library. If anyone has any info on Link or his canoes, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Michael

There is a tavern in Albany that has a Linkanoe hanging in the bar area (I stopped in one day looking for directions to church - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes: ) I will stop in and ask the owner if I can take some pictures of it and if he has any more info.

Hey Mike, I got one in the loft of the garage - I've you're going to take photos and quaff a couple, swing by this way... :D

Cheers,
Dan

Hey Mike
Dont go out of your way,although the pictures and information will be greatly appreciated .........How about waiting til your coming home from church!!!!

I just found a Linkanoe and would like a copy of the assembly instructions and any information on these boats. I have ordered that back issue of Wooden Canoe #160, it just has not showed up in the mail yet. It will need some repairs and a new canvas sock before she gets wet.

Thank you,
Rob

Since issue 160 was published, I made a new canvas boot for my Linkanoe and (after I find my notes) can email some guidance and photos to anyone trying to make one.

Assembly is relatively straightforward. There are white stars on one (in)side of the hull, red on the other. Lay them out that way front to rear, then clip the lefts & rights together. You now have 5 sections: pull two at a time together and clip. There may be additional fasteners in the center under the gunwales - clip them, and then install the deck plates front and rear. The piece of metal at the bottom of the eyebolt is supposed to slide underneath the gunwales and as you twist the eyebolt, that tightens and grips the two halves.

Linkanoes had a serial number painted in a dark red paint on every section, on the exterior of the hull, generally along the keel line where 4 sections get clipped together. Please post the serial number of your canoe. Tom McCloud

Thank you, but I was also hoping for some photos to gather more detailed information on this Linkanoe. This is the only Linkanoe I have ever seen! I do appreciate your instructions and time!! Not having the instructions, I was joining the canoe at the keel joints first, then buckling the sections together at the gunwales. Thank you and now I know how to assemble it correctly!

What material did you use for the canvas sock? I have the cracked,dry original sock to use as a pattern. Do you have the carrying bags? I want to see pictures of those so I can make a set for my Linkanoe. I also need to make/find some paddles, but I have only seen one bad photo of them.

I have not been able to find the serial number! I have looked everywhere! You can hardly see any of the assembly stars in the inside of the boat. The previous owner USED this boat and you can tell!

Thank you,
Rob

Rob, Many of your questions will be answered in issue 160, but boot questions probably not. There are other small details that I noticed during restoration that didn't make it into 160.

The canvas I used was described to me as 'OD (olive drab) 14.9 oz. cotton duck, wet finish'. On very close examination, this canvas does not appear to have as many threads per inch as an original Link boot. Wet finish refers to the waterproofing, and I do not know what was used on this. Originally wax was added to the dying soup, so the canvas came out both OD and waxy. My newly made boot 'sweated' water thru the underwater area, (not so much that it couldn't be used, but still annoying) so I heavily painted it inside and out with CANVAC, and that did NOT help. Before you choose your canvas, ask the very specific question 'Is it waterproof, or just water repellent?' The answer you have to get is waterproof.

The canvas I bought is still quite appropriate for the bags. I had only pictures of them, but sewed one which looks like the photos. It is essentially a rectangle of canvas 45"x60", with a zipper sewn so that the bag will open flat. I bought a 100 inch zipper, which is barely adequate, but works.

I'm in Frederick, MD. If you are anywhere close, or can get to the event near Harrisburg, PA on Oct. 12, and we could get together, a lot of time could be saved. Tom McCloud

Found the serial number for my Linkanoe when I was moving it down to begin restoration. It is stamped in the wood on the inside of the stem 494 on one side and 495 on the other.
Also the wood for the seat with the holes has two ink stamps on the underside. The first one says "May 26 1944". The second larger one that has some of the writing cut out by the holes and all the writing is outlined in an ink box.

"May 6
SPEC No 6
ORAOR B
BATCH No 766
BIRCH
-CANADA-"

Hope this helps someone, sometime.
Planning on getting this awesome little canoe fixed an on the water this summer.
Thank you to Tom and Bob for all the information listed on this forum.

Rob

Back