Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Killbear Paddlers Rendezvous

Discussion in 'Wooden Canoe Events' started by john hupfield, Jul 25, 2012.

1. john hupfield

john hupfield fire starter/wood burner

Any one interested in the 99 billionth annual Paddlers Rendezvous at Killbear Provincial Park, Granite Saddle Campground, the weekend after Labour Day.
    A Northern Lakes Chapter Event.
    Georgian Bay, check last years photos.
    John

2. David McDaniel

David McDaniel Canoe Dude

John, See you there!!!

3. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Looks like the big outriggers will be back this year, even if Pearson isn't. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

4. WoodNCanvas

WoodNCanvas LOVES Wooden Canoes

I'll be there....with an old Chestnut Cruiser to donate to the fire....

5. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Geez, John. I didn't realize you were THAT old!

6. MackyM

MackyM LOVES Wooden Canoes

Whoa Mike,

Never commit such a sacrilegeous act. Old Chestnut cruisers are at the top of the canoe chain. Patty won't leave home without one.

Macky

7. OP
    OP
    john hupfield

Just old enough that I can't remember how many. Kinda like counting canoes; 6 and then a bunch and then some more and then some that you haven't seen yet.
    John

8. WoodNCanvas

Macky, this old canoe is too far gone to be restored, especially with so better examples out there....got this one for free....and about what was worth LOL LOL....and I won't make an old canoe into shelves....so being donated to the fire gods....

Are you and Patty coming up to Killbear????

9. Paul Waqué

Paul Waqué Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

I would like to attend this year if there is space. Does one just show up at the park and follow the smell of old canvas and varnish? :) Or is there a registration process?
    Paul

10. WoodNCanvas

Just show up....register for campground....

11. Steve Lapey

Steve Lapey LOVES Wooden Canoes

I'll be there representing the Norumbega Chapter, hoping to win the Killbear Trophy for the second year on a row!

12. Andre Cloutier

Paul, the park closes the Granite Saddle portion of the campground for the rendezvous, so advise them at the office on arrival that you want a site for the rendezvous. You can pick one from the map, or drive to the sites and phone them to confirm the number. I always get a central one but can never remember the number, its relatively informal. Look for the banner and old boats! Steve, practice your singing and dancing, the competition will be stiff this year!
    http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/killb.html

13. Andre Cloutier

14. OP
    OP
    john hupfield

and the water temperature is 21 C or 70 F depending on your measuring system. Personally I use Cubits.

15. KAT

KAT LOVES Wooden Canoes

I'm interested to know just how long a canoe burns for. This past weekend we burned up bits of an old Huron we had and the planking burns bright, hot and very fast even just as broken pieces in a campfire. The varnish on planking and ribs gives a nice colour but even the ribs go fast. So, just how long does a whole canoe last? I'm thinking less than a half hour.

16. OP
    OP
    john hupfield

Certainly . Aluminum ones last longer but you can use them for reflector ovens. I would not suggest plastic canoes due to the noxious vapours.

17. chris pearson

chris pearson Michigan Canoe Nut

Whats this "C" bullshi#!!!!! I prefer "F" Friggin Canadian.

18. WoodNCanvas

Not able to make it up after all....wishing everybody a safe and great weekend....

19. OP
    OP
    john hupfield

Canoe Nut.

20. Andre Cloutier

Weather couldnt deter us - still a fine gathering and as always the scenery is incomparable. Chris, the water was 22 degrees; a fine temp for swimming!
    Cedarstrips, cedar canvas, sailing canoes, a norwegian pram and a laser zipped around between downpours. Good times with good people yet again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012