Kids at Assembly 2018

millie_sass

Canoe anybody?
Do you have an idea of topics and timing of events for kids? I would like to bring my 12-year old grandson. The airfare will be expensive and the drive will be long, so I want to be sure that there will be enough interesting activities for him.

Hi Millie,

Details of the Assembly program are still being worked out, but we are always delighted to see kids at Assembly, and there will certainly be fun and interesting kids program, from crafts to canoeing, plus the Trent University campus and Peterborough should offer some fun things as well. Note that the Canadian Canoe Museum provides kids programs too. Please come and please bring your grandson! Bring the whole extended family along with some friends! And I also recall your throw bag idea - not forgotten. Looking forward to another fantastic Assembly, this year in one of the canoe capitals of the world!

Michael

Unfortunately, the number of children attending Assembly has declined from a high of 64 to between 10 and 20, spanning toddlers to teens, making it difficult to run a program that suite the whole rainge. This year, we are in a quandary as Mary Gauld, the long running coordinator of the Children's Program, is unavailable to attend this year due to our daughter's wedding the weekend following Assembly.
We encourage family members of all ages to participate in any of the program activities together. There are a wide variety of programming, including paddling excursions daily. Several of the Bill Mason films running throughout Assembly are animated and/or educational, especially the classic "Paddle to the Sea". I remember as a child being in awe watching the special effects of "The Rise and Fall of the Great Lakes".
The Canadian Canoe Museum also has a number of kid-specific programming and interactive displays.

Back