Just For A Boost.

Kent E. Nord

Curious about Wooden Canoes
No dagger boards so for a reach-only, but should be fun. Made this little spinnaker about 25 years ago and thought I'd try to reduce the profile. Might be a fail; we'll see.
20180811_165818.jpg

Attachments

• 20180811_184737.jpg
    20180811_184737.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 508
  • 20180811_184203.jpg
    20180811_184203.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 512
Did the best I could to align it with the center line of the boat so as to not pull to the right or left. Sealed it with BLO for now.
20180814_214932.jpg

The sail was made as a spinnaker. I raked it to bring the bottom edge down more to the shear line of the boat.
I didn't need to make a step either, because there is a block of wood at the step locale in the construction of the boat.
hope this makes sense.

Report on my rig is that the single Lee board is not enough. Two or maybe wider would help. Just the same, I went 15 miles to the Canadian border with little effort on a reach, the wind switch coming out two days later and did the same saving a half an hour of the trip. I'm in no hurry when going into the BWCA, but this trip was different. I had a load on board to re-supply my son that was paddling the border route. The sail saved my butt. All in all a fun addition to my solo boat.

Was it Fall or Moose that you went in? I'm guessing Moose.
And did anybody stop you, as sail rigs are not legal in the BW?

Ya, that is an interesting oddity, that the 25 is OK but formal sail rigs are not. I'm a bit out of it lately but I never heard of a list of lakes that the sail rig was ok and wasn't ok, it just comes under the mechanized propulsion piece. Of course if you left the dagger boards home and stretched a tarp between 2 poles, then your OK.

Fall.. and here I was thinking Moose cause you could sail all the way to the Border w/o a portage.

More importantly, how did your son make out? Did he complete the border?

[QUOTE="Dan Lindberg, post: 79285, member: 24

More importantly, how did your son make out? Did he complete the border?[/QUOTE]

He's on a trip called Ode2Mn. and are on the SHT now. They biked from St. Paul to "I" Falls, paddled the border route, and are through hiking The SHT to Jay Cooke where they get back on their bikes to ride back to St Paul.
If you scroll to the "share" garmin, you can follow the progress.
https://www.facebook.com/Ode2Minnesota/

Back