Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

It's done!!

Discussion in 'Canoe Sailing' started by JClearwater, Jun 15, 2009.

1. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoe Maniac

At long last it's done. 1923 Old Town HW, 18' with sponsons. The canvas was still good so I elected not to re-canvas or refinish the inside. Sanded the outside and painted. Sanded the gunwales and varnished, refinished the thwarts and seats. Refinished the sail rig. I made a mast thwart out of cherry. The leeboard bracket that came with the rig was not made for a canoe with sponsons so I had to make a longer board for that. I rebuilt the rudder, it was broken in two pieces. New sail from Doug Fowler.

Attached are pictures of the canoe "lawn sailing." I rigged it up as per Todd's book but if anyone thinks I should change something let me know. I took it out on a samll local lake yesterday but there was almost no wind. I circled the lake a couple of times and even managed to get back to the dock.

I'll have it a Keuka next month.

Peace,
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson WCHA Member

She looks great, Jim. Will you be bringing her up to show off a Keuka next month?

Jim

3. bredlo

bredlo LOVES Wooden Canoes

Wow! Ralph Lauren, eat your heart out.

4. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Looks wonderful-- we look forward to seeing her up-close-n-personal!

Kathy (Denis too)

5. Pernicious Atavist

Pernicious Atavist Canoe Sailing Publisher

Beautiful boat! A good job well done. Shame I won't get to see it at Assembly!

Since you asked, I think that the only thing I'd do with the sheet is have it run through a block attached to the center of the leeboard bracket. I do it on mine and it keeps the sheet at hand giving you more control and a bit more mechanical advantage over the sail. I also sheet to a cam cleat so I don't have to hold it all the time, and the cam cleat allows me to free it quickly. Don't forget your stop knot!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. OP
    OP
    JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoe Maniac

Thank you

Thank you everyone for you kind comments. Yes, I will be at Keuka unless the unexpected comes up.

Jim