Info on new find

Rod Tait (Orca Boats)

Designer/Builder
Pick up this old Peterborough yesterday for $100. No serial # that I can see. Does not look like it had any seats (ever) Narrow planking with bevel lap and a single nail through overlaps. Many narrow ribs that are rounded. No inwale. Narrow and long canoe so look like rather unstable comparatively speaking and previous owner states same. Plan to strip off paint, repair broken and rotten wood, new outer stem and varnish the #$% out of it and consider it for display only as I don't think it will ever swell up to keep water out. Has not seen water for over 40 years. Any thoughts on what was original and maybe what is should look like. (sorry about photos but software want to rotate)

Attachments

• 20160515_105054.jpg
    20160515_105054.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 544
  • 20160515_105111.jpg
    20160515_105111.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 527
  • 20160515_105101.jpg
    20160515_105101.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 20160515_105121.jpg
    20160515_105121.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 533
With a new keelson, stripping, and lots of varnish this canoe should float. Rather unstable corresponds to fast.

I have all the parts, some of which need some minor repair, but there are some large gaps in some of the planking due to damage. I am considering not repairing since I think it will deter from the look of the original planking. We will see once done how much water it will take up or take on as the case may be.

Planking gaps can be filled with varnish and wood flour. Years ago I refinished a really rough Peterborough. It was so bad that someone had inserted cotton caulking between the planks. I removed all the cotton, stripped it inside and out and varnished profusely. Between the planks I applied a mixture of varnish and wood flour. It looked pretty good( relatively speaking). I guaranteed it to leak, but the owner called to tell me that It didn't leak at all. I'm certain that it leaked within a short time, but it was usable.

Planking structure

There are no gaps between the planking since the planks are overlapped with a bevel on both faces. The problem is where the planking is broken completely leaving holes too large to fill and I don't want to replace the planking as I think it will detract from the history of the boat. This will be more evident once I strip it and see what we have left as far as gaps but I don't want to rebuild the boat. Would be nice if it did swell up once done, but bet it will not to point of paddling it.
Planking structure.jpg

Back