Indian Girl Gunwale details

jdm6593

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Our boat had gunwales in the last stages of decay and showed no evidence of the stem to deck joint style and I can’t tell what angle the gunwales were relative to the deck (it does not appear to make a continuous curve). The inwale rabbit has a 12 degree angle in the middle of the boat, but I’m not sure what happens at the ends. It appears to be a rolling bevel. It also looks like the deck curve does not flow into the gunwale, but makes a sudden change at the gunwale to a lower angle. The gunwale tops also are about 7 degrees below horizontal, at least in the middle of the boat.

I have a cherry plank ready to rip and rabbit. It is a beautiful piece of wood, but I am not convinced it will happily make the bend at the ends. I suppose bending it after rabbiting makes it easier, but it also seems like it increases the odds of splitting. I can't see cutting the rabbit after bending; seems crazy. I suppose I could cut the rabbits before separating the inwales and then could use a strap over that when bending.

I would love some good detail pictures of the gunwales at the ends, showing the curve of the deck transitioning to the gunwale, as well as the stem joint. The junction of the inner and outer wales also is beveled on top on our boat. I assume this is just wear, but makes me wonder if Rushton originally used a filler in that joint when finishing the boat.

Thanks for your input!

Back