ID help

coldfeet

Curious about Wooden Canoes
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/boa/6183829001.html

From my understanding Stowe made fiberglass boats with wood ribs, so this shouldn't be a Stowe from my research, but I could be wrong as usual. I spoke to the seller, he said it's a canvas covering and will take some pics for me. Boat was purchased 4 years ago not to far from NYC (about 30 miles). Seller paddled it a few times in the harbor of NYC area, I believe that's brackish water. Boat was kept outside covered with a tarp but rain, snow and other elements had an affect I'm guessing. I also asked him to search for serial numbers. Any info would be appreciated. Kit boat? Thanks David

Identifying the Quebec built Canadian boats iis a bit of a trick..Faber and Huron canoes and their iterations all look a bit similar to the untrained eye.
What suggests a boat from the area are the babiche seats, narrow planking and deck form...
This is likely one of those...
The Stowe connection if there is one is that Faber made snowshoes...as did Stowe. Perhaps the story slipped off the edge a bit?
It's not a kit boat..
If you buy it take the cost of repair into consideration.... it's very easy for a restored canoe to be worth less than the cost of purchase and restoration.

Thanks MGC, I'm guessing that it's always a gamble when purchasing something. It's actually in Greg Nolan's area and I'm hoping he's back from his trip to take a look at it with me.
But, looking at it and understanding my simple abilities and cost, it might be the just right boat for me to clean up and paddle for a few years if the canvas is good. I'm going to the assembly in a few weeks and I'm sure I will see boats for twice the price that I wish I had. Thanks, now I'm even more confused.

Hi David - Because you're going to Assembly and it's just around the corner, I'd suggest waiting until then. If you've never been to Assembly before, you have no idea what a wonderful learning experience it will be. You'll see an amazing variety of canoes from many different makes from long ago through today, and you'll see them in all kinds of conditions. Even better, you'll be surrounded by an incredible array of friendly people with true expertise on the history, construction, maintenance, repair and restoration of wooden canoes. All of which is to say that you'll come back much better informed, and you might even return with a canoe! There will be quite a few for sale, and there will be others in the Assembly auction.

Michael

Thanks Michael, good idea. But I will go see the boat and leave my $ behind just to see what it looks like. I told that to the seller and he understood. I also mentioned to him about the upcoming assembly and this website to help him. I purchased a book explaining w/c canoes and will do some reading on it. Thanks again. Whew, this waiting is killing me!

Whew, this waiting is killing me!

Patience! When I first got into this, I bought my first wooden canoe because, as I thought at the time, "I might not find another one." I said that to myself probably a dozen times before I realized that there are a ton of old wooden canoes out there, and I could, and should, be more selective.

I could, and should, be more selective.
True..so true...that boat flew off the roof at about 30 MPH once.... heavy bugger.....

There are lot's of boats and there is lot's of time.
There are currently a few really nice OT's on CL...several at very fair prices..
We tend to search too close to home...

Saw the canoe today, needs a good restoration. When standing above it the 15ft looks small for my tripping gear. Seller was nice in dropping price for me but I'm going to wait and be patient. It probably can be paddled a bit and restored by someone with the skills. Also might look nice hanging on a wall or suspended after being cleaned up. Thank for the information.

Back