Id A Chestnut?

rbudge

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I apologize in advance for not having a picture at hand. I took a bunch and left the camera in the shop, a 45 minute drive away.
I have just started to re-cover a Chestnut canoe that belongs to a cousin. I'd like to know the type, not for any good reason, just curious.
The canoe is a late production Chestnut with the Oromocto decal. It is 14' long overall, max hull breadth of 30 1/2", a bit less than 1/2" tumblehome midships and a depth of 13 1/4" midships. The stems are 6 3/4" higher. The keel is straight to within 2' or so of the ends and then rises 2" or so to the beginning of the sharper curve of the stems. The ribs are typical Chestnut ribs at 1 1/2" x 5/16" at 3" on centre. Plank is a bit over 1/8".
This thing is really well built especially compared to my own somewhat older prospector. It is in nearly pristine condition and perfectly beautiful. It seems to me to be identical to my first canoe, a Peterborough I had when I was in high school in the 1960's. I think I am going to take the lines off it in the hope of building one like it one day.
Ron

My guess is that it might be a Fox based based on the specifications from their 1977 catalog as shown in the link below. There are many here who know much more about Canadian canoes than I do. More information like this is available from http://www.wcha.org/store/canadian-wood-canoe-and-boat-company-catalog-collection in the other scanned catalogs.

Benson

back.jpg

You have to be right about that. there are not a lot of choices in that length. Thanks.
I wonder how they defined depth? I always thought it was outside the hull from the bottom at midships to the deck or gunwhale edge. The measurement in that chart might be to the top of the thwart in the canoe I'm fixing.
Thanks again.

The following pdf is a lines plan for the Fox, measured after I had the old canvas off. A couple of random measurements show the canoe to be symmetrical in two planes, so I measured only one quarter of the hull. There are some anomalous lines. This boat should be lofted before the plan is used to build anything.

Attachments

• Chestnut Fox Offsets.pdf
    365.3 KB · Views: 359
Here it is ready to carry back to its owner. At this point it has one coat of varnish inside and once coat of primer outside, new seat caning, one set of seat mount bolts replaced with stainless (no brass available), repaired gunwhales, one repaired stem band and one made out of brass flat bar. This was an easy job, though it took a while as I don't have a lot of time to work at it. I have another canoe in the shop now, one of mine. I hope they can both go in the water together when the ice goes out in another month or two. Is anybody interested in this stuff?
Finished Fox - s.jpg

Back