I have uncovered a first for me

Grandlaker

Builder & Restorer
2,500 plus SS screws instead of tacks. Ribs are also screwed to the gunwales. It makes it very easy to take apart. But adds allot of poundage. This canoe was built over another canoe as the form so as not to harm the hull of the ( form/canoe ) they used screws.

Attachments

• DSCF7018.jpg
    DSCF7018.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCF7020.jpg
    DSCF7020.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCF7021.jpg
    DSCF7021.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCF7023.jpg
    DSCF7023.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Way back when, when I lived in Wisconsin, I took apart a home-built canoe that was spruce planking over spruce ribs, and entirely screwed together with #4 x 3/8" brass screws. I still have a bucket-load of them, despite using them in several restorations and new canoes since. They are probably the most expensive screws in my entire stash...

Way back when, when I lived in Wisconsin, I took apart a home-built canoe that was spruce planking over spruce ribs, and entirely screwed together with #4 x 3/8" brass screws. I still have a bucket-load of them, despite using them in several restorations and new canoes since. They are probably the most expensive screws in my entire stash...

With respect, burning and raking is the acme of efficiency...

I've burnt cedar strip boats; the brass screws were made so soft by the heat that they were useless. Just saying!

Bob

I'll bet you're right! I just keep the steel bow rings to give to MGC, he has a fetish for them.

Attachments

• bow ring.jpg
    bow ring.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 322
I'll bet you're right! I just keep the steel bow rings to give to MGC, he has a fetish for them.

That was hurtful..... but not as much as the hockey at Sochi last weekend.
Payback this weekend. We are not letting the CG's return. They are going down!

Back