How to store unused varnish???

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I goofed and bought 2 gallons of Varnish instead of quarts! Anybody have a good recommendation for saving what I don't use? Like... Glass jelly jars? Plastic mayo jars? Or would I do better by buying quart sized empty cans? In the past I've preserved paint in the can by putting a layer of Saran wrap over the unused paint & resealing the lid. Would that work for varnish as well?

O - in case anybody cares it's Totalboat Gleam marine varnish, described as a 'tung oil marine spar varnish'.

If you have easy access to the metal qt cans, I'd use that, and maybe give it a shot of nitrogen when you close it.

I'd be afraid of breaking the glass, and the mayo? I put some stain in a milk jug and it dissolved the jug,
(fortunately we found it before a gal of stain was on the basement floor).

If you want to go cheep, maybe old qt oil jugs?

AS you know, your enemy in storage of paint, varnish, etc. is oxygen, so keep the air out. If the cans are nearly full, I would store them upside down. There is a product named Bloxygen, which is argon, an inert gas heavier than air, in a spray can. You spray it inside a can with the lid open just a crack to displace the air, then seal. I've had good luck with it. And there are plastic bags made for paint storage under the name "StopLossBag". I've also had good luck with these. The biggest PAIN is transferring the paint to the bag, for which you need a really tiny funnel. But once the bag is nearly filled, squeeze all the air out and screw on the cap. I've used spar varnish stored in these for 6+ months. TM...

I actually use one of these infomercial gizmos on the original cans. I do stick a bit of clear packing tape over the yellow thing as a final safety, but cans of paint and varnish can then sit on the shelf for years and the stuff stays just as you left it. Yes, it's kind of cheesy and probably a bit overpriced, buy it does work very well.

video:

Back