Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

How much paint??

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by mug21, May 7, 2020.

1. mug21

mug21 New Member

How much paint should I order for a 16 foot canoe? I'm assuming a gallon is more than plenty. Thanks.

2. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

One quart might almost do it, but I always get two so I don’t have to worry.
    I usually do 4 coats minimum.

3. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Always takes me 2 quarts paint plus a primer coat. Seems every time it takes me 3 coats to relearn how do it properly and a other few coats to kill off the damn flies & bugs in the garage that want to get their feet wet.

Nessmuck likes this.
  4. Nessmuck

Nessmuck Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

So Howie......Iam a week or so away from painting my 16 foot OCTA. I already put some primer down...Jamestown stuff. And I have 2 quarts of red easy poxy. Do I put it on with a 4 inch foam roller ...doing like 3 foot sections ?? Any help would be appreciated....and thanks.

5. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

I've used the Jamestown's Totalboat Topside Primer. Watch out when you sand it: if you sand it 'dry' you'll very quickly load up the paper. Use it 'wet' by splashing a little water - like a tablespoon - as you go.

As to the paint, I've never used Easy Poxy and couldn't advise you on how to apply it. I use Total Boat's paint or Epifanes, and use a 2" brush.

6. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Whatever paint you use, yes to rolling and tipping...that way the paint will not run....
    I can get 4 or 5 coats on a 16 foot canoe with one quart. I do thin the paint using the mfgrs. thinner if it's Epifanes or what have you for other paints. As noted by Howie, always sand between coats.

7. Rollin Thurlow

Rollin Thurlow member since 1980

A lot depends upon the color. Dark Green or dark blue , one qt will do. White or bright red will take at least two qts. Paint is expensive, try one qt and see what happens.

8. Nessmuck

So........this “Tipping” is exactly what ??

9. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

10. Nessmuck

Thanks !!