How much canvas?

mug21

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Getting started on my first canoe project this winter. The canoe is in awesome shape but the old canvas is badly ripped and needs replacing. How much canvas do I need to order for a 16 foot canoe? I'm guessing 18 feet will be enough? Thanks in advance for your advice, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I progress.

Usually sold by the yard. Most places. I use about 2 feet extra on each end. You need that extra to pinch in some sort of clamp. Unless your stretching with your bare hands. One foot each end is cutting it close. You'll get other replies.

For a 16' canoe, 7 yards is a safe bet. The extra can be used to make mitts for working the filler in later. I also have sewn pretty tough (but ugly)beach bags out of the leftovers. Later on when you put the canoe into the "envelope" for stapling, push it toward one end in order to maximize the size of the remnant.
Good luck!

I was advised by a professional canoe builder in Saskatchewan that one foot at each end was enough (before stretching) he was right, and probably frugal. I save real scraps to make mitts for rubbing in.

Last edited:
Back