Help on ID for a wood Canadian?

John Maderic

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I have brought home an all wood canoe measuring 14' 6" by 36". Spearhead decks and some of the screws being #1 sqaureheads brings me to a Canadian builder user the knowledge base here. On the metal tag fastened to the outside of the canoe there is very faint showings of a scroll like design on the tag. Before the ID#, very faintly S, then R or B, then V. The canoe was glassed. The very most to the stem rib is approx. three inches wide. Also a unique fastening of the seats. I see several of the Canadian companies joined in time which totally loses me from further ID. Any help from yours would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCF4759.jpg
    DSCF4759.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCF4758.jpg
    DSCF4758.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 493
  • DSCF4752.jpg
    DSCF4752.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF4756.jpg
    DSCF4756.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCF4749.jpg
    DSCF4749.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 469
  • DSCF4755.jpg
    DSCF4755.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 488
More pictures

Just a good time to be able to thank all those that make this forum possible and the help and inspiration they give to others!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF4747.jpg
    DSCF4747.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 453
  • DSCF4757.jpg
    DSCF4757.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF4751.jpg
    DSCF4751.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCF4750.jpg
    DSCF4750.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF4746.jpg
    DSCF4746.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 448
The deck tag reminds me of a canoe that I repaired about a year ago. Great Canadian Canoe Co. They are still in business. Run the serial number past them and maybe they can tell you more.

Thank you. Ive emailed them and will see If its their product. Im interested also in finding why a 'cap' was added to the inner gunnels. I see in their online site their canoes are glassed.

The cap is typical of this style of canoe. It is generally referred to as a "Huron style" canoe.
Do a search on Huron and you will find out about this style of canoe and of it's several builders.

Except for the seats, carrying yoke and half ribs [ which may have been changed or added ] it is a Huron. For a comparison I have some for sale on the WCHA classified site.

Thanks Dan, Dave and Dave, Ive been researching Hurons, and am still lacking in knowledge. It seems Huron was a company itself, but Huron also covers a wide number of builders. Great Canadian of Mass. never replied. Any pics I could display to further help anyone ID this; please advise. If the canoe is fairly new and the fiberglass was original I wouldn't go through glass removal. Also now knowing, this post should have went under the other forum of wood / canvas.

Back