Help identify a longitudinal strip boat

Bcook

I have a 16' longitudinal strip canoe that looks like a Peterborough but there is no plate, stamped number on the stem, or any other identifying marks. I picked it up from a gentleman just before he could fiberglass it. He said it had always been in his family who had a cabin in the 1000 islands on the St.Lawrence and thought it dated back between 1910 and 1920. It does have a chrome ring in the bow for a mast (but no step). The 3rd plank down is mahogany , the rest are cedar with an oak keel. There are supports for original kneeling boards but the previous owner took them out and added cane seats. Any idea how to identify it and who may have made It.

Attachments

• canoe.jpeg
    canoe.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    346.9 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2872.jpeg
    IMG_2872.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 296
Hi, I am looking through old posts and came across your. Did you ever get your canoe identified? I recently purchased a very similar one, with the narrow mahogany plank third plank down that you mention. Mine does not have a mast hole in the bow deck, and my decks appear to be mahogany with maple kingboards. No seats in mine, just thwarts and thwart blocks that look the same as an early Strickland. My thwarts are also held in by fasteners through thwart mount plates that, if it was a Strickland and they were original, would have been stamped with a maker's mark. My originals seem to have been replaced with wider ones as the old mount holes are blown out. Anyway, - I am fairly new to old canoes and yours was the first mention I had heard of the mahogany strip 3 boards down and hoped to learn more.

I am far from expert on this topic but if I am not mistaken, the off color strip is generally Spanish cedar.

Can’t believe this original post from 2021 slipped through the cracks without being discussed.
I’m not a Canadian canoe expert, but it looks like a Peterborough to me.

Back