Greetings from Finland

cwalter

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all,

I'm a recent transplant to Finland (the country, not the town in Minnesota) from Tennessee. I studied Outdoor Education at Southern Adventist University and was introduced to canoes there. While there I was blessed to be able to help with the restoration of 2 Seliga canoes, an 18 footer and a "normal" 17 foot canoe. I was also fortunate enough to be able to paddle one of his canoes and a Bell Seliga in the BWCAW for 6 days.

Needless to say, I'm hooked. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any info on wood canvas canoes here in Finland. Everyone wants to use a row boat because they can leave them on the shore when not in use.

I'm about to start a position at a boarding academy offering activities/classes for the students after school is out. The weather in Finland takes a turn for the worse during the winter, so indoor activities are needed. I'd love to work with the guys here on restoring or even building wooden canoes. I think it would be a great way to keep them out of trouble on the long, dark winter days.

Would anyone know how to locate a canoe or two in Europe? Or maybe a form? I've also got a contact in the US that would be willing to ship large items to me. My only problem is a budget. I don't have one... Anything I spend will probably need to come out of my own pocket, and those are very shallow.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Brilliant! Thank you, sir.

Is there another place on this forum that would also be appropriate to place this request?

cwalter,

What do you remember about the 18 ft Seliga? Only a few were ever made and I'm surprised you working on one.
Ie, was it a vee or regular double end? Who owned it? Widji or a private party?

Any pics of it?

Dan

Welcome Aboard... Iam all new to wooden canoes ,but these folks on here have a lot of great info and will chime in if they can help.

Dan,

It was a regular double end canoe. I unfortunately don't remember the S/N or have any pics that I know of, but I'll look. It's a Widji canoe now that was supposedly special ordered by a family. I believe they were close to Joe? They donated the canoe to Widji around 2010, I believe. I can probably find out more information about it and maybe even find some pictures from a friend.

Hope this is useful,

Casey

Casey,

Any info you get find would great. Pics would be even better.

Only 6 18 ft double enders were made,
4 went to Bill Rom's canoe business and are likely long sense gone.

The other 2 went to Bud Nye (48 4 4 101) and Bob Binger (48 4 106), both are listed as Widji folk.

Dan

Dan,

I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy that would have that info. I'll keep trying, but things get harder when you're on the other side of the globe! :p

I've got one more contact that might know, I'll see if I can reach him.

Casey

Back