Grand Laker build help

Scott Denny

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Ok so I have the plans to build a grand laker however when i look online at pics of these boats quite a few of them have horizontal braces on the inside. I know there is a better name for what I am talking about but the word has eluded me. OK so question is can i build this boat with 5/16 or 3/8 strips and have enough strength and rigidity to put a 10hp motor on it? Sorry about my grammar. I have never been a writer or good student of the subject. Math was my strong suit.

" can i build this boat with 5/16 or 3/8 strips and have enough strength and rigidity to put a 10hp motor on it? "

Not likely. The pounding that motorboat speeds put on hull bottoms when going through waves is on a whole different level from that which canoes normally get. Just making the wooden core a little bit thicker doesn't automatically make that much difference in the strength or rigidity of the hull. I would seek out some folks who have actually built that canoe or something very similar and find out what they did and how well it worked.

GrandLakerMitch posts here from time to time. You might try sending him a PM or read through his posts to figure out how to get in touch with him. He could give you some practical advice. His last post was in July last year.....

Whos plans are you using, and is there a rating for the boat? is the original construction for strip or are you modifying from rib and plank to strip? what are the overall dimentions, transom height etc?

So the plans are from Gil Gilpatrick. However they are the free plans that came with his book. It maybe a rib and plank build I honestly want get some opinions before I search out a paid plan for this boat. Basically his plans are nothing more than station drawings

I corresponded with him recently, and he couldnt specify where the boat he lined off originated. It would be a cedar canvas i believe, and like Todd noted there would be a lot of considerations going from canvas to strip construction. I can point you to a stripper that can be had for not a lot of money, just some trim work. Not sure if it oil cans at all though, but all the hard work is done.

If you are serious about that kind of boat you should look into Tim Marchetti's freighter design, which was actually designed for stripper construction, has been built and tested and works quite well. You can get the plans from Tim at:
tmarchetti26@gmail.com
and you can see photos of the process here:
https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/2...r-canoe.33663/

Guessing at scantlings to strip up a home-brewed version of the Grand Laker which was designed for rib and plank construction is quite risky unless you really know what you are doing and have experience building and using strippers. Tim's boat would give you a much better chance of ending up with something worth the time and money. The plans are not free, but neither is wasting a lot of money going off on your own blindly and turning out something that turns out to be unusable.

I'd make a point of talking to the designer of any plan, as to hp rating ! 10 hp can put a lot of torque on a stripper ! Wood thickness, building technique , and possibly layers of Carbon, and Kevlar.

Wouldn't be much fun watching a Grand Laker, sink in the middle of a lake, with a 10 hp going with it !

My 2 cents !

Jim

Back