Good idea gone wrong #2020...

mmmalmberg

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Seemed like a simple enough no-cost boiler. I had the pipe and the burner already.

Only problem, unanticipated, is that bubbles from the bottom when it boils, expand on their way up enough to burp water out of the pipe. The pipe diameter is too small. As a result, it blubbed out all its water without my realizing it. I saw that it was low, and poured a quart of hot water into the end of the pipe, which on hitting the overheated bottom section of pipe instantly blew back out as steam and boiling water, scalding both hands and one foot. Ouch. Not a fan of intense prolonged pain:)

I did manage to go on and bend the outer stem I had in there, but if I have to do it again I'll be re-designing the system:)

IMG_7523.mov
Thanks, let me know if it's working now. My computer's screwed up right now and won't play videos.

I use An old 20lb propane tank as a stream vessel, heated by a turkey fryer.
I have a pipe with tee coming out of the old tank. A horizontal pipe from the tee is the avenue for steam. The other opening is plugged and I remove the plug to fill the tank with water.
Works great, if you can find an old propane tank.

Turkey fryers are great, i use one with an old aluminum beer keg on it. Steam for days. I found my old propane tank developed rust eventually and stained some ribs so i had to toss it. Tig welded two spouts, one for output and one for adding water. From the Moose Brewery of Roscoe, Pennsylvania. Have a picture somewhere.....

Since all I've been doing is a few ribs at a time, some stems etc. I get by quite well with a wallpaper steamer that I modified to push steam into a simple steam box. It will keep going as long as I add water to it. One fill will steam six ribs. If I need more I add more water and start over. When I start building boats again I'll probably upgrade. The keg is nice idea as is the turkey fryer.

ribs and rails

Attachments

• EF73C17F-61AB-4792-A1D2-F5B9258A576D.jpeg
    EF73C17F-61AB-4792-A1D2-F5B9258A576D.jpeg
    421.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 73FCD6EE-A3C3-43B4-8D5D-9453437BD018.jpeg
    73FCD6EE-A3C3-43B4-8D5D-9453437BD018.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 254
If you are buying new, a turkey fryer costs about the same as a wallpaper steamer, and is much more versatile. With an old gas can or beer keg, it will put out vastly more steam than will a wallpaper remover, and so is more suitable for larger steaming jobs.
s 1493.JPG

Bonus -- a turkey fryer generally comes with a good size aluminum pot, suitable for, of course, frying a turkey (I've never tried), or cooking lobsters -- which I have done several times. Yum! A wallpaper steamer won't do either of those tasks.

Maybe not appropriate for this thread, but my steamer is a step beyond Dave O's. I had a pipe coupling welded onto a propane tank near the bottom. I can thread on a hot water heater element, which not only generates a huge amount of steam, but can be used indoors.

Maybe not appropriate for this thread, but my steamer is a step beyond Dave O's. I had a pipe coupling welded onto a propane tank near the bottom. I can thread on a hot water heater element, which not only generates a huge amount of steam, but can be used indoors.
We are far beyond appropriate..such is the nature of a forum;)
As much as I love the idea of the turkey cooker, the idea of trying to sneak one into my shop (I work in the cellar) is daunting. My wife sniffed out (quite literally) my Coleman White Gas can sitting on the hot plate and condemned my efforts as unsafe and off limits. That's when I commandeered/appropriated her wall paper steamer. And for anyone that needs to work safely inside their house, it's not a bad option. My ribs are cooked in 23 minutes..
When I work in the garage where my form is located I'm not going to want to use the turkey cooker inside.. The idea of using a water tank heater element in a tank is really interesting. There have been some really good ideas shared here.

We are far beyond appropriate..such is the nature of a forum;)

Actually no - this forum has been a joy to moderate, compared to some I have participated in. Thanks to all for keeping it all civil!

I'll dig my steamer out of the basement soon and take photos; I have a whack (this is a Canadian term) of ribs to steam for an 1880s canoe I am working on.

I like the water heater element too, have been thinking about an electric element. Unfortunately all my propane tanks have propane in them:) I'll keep my eyes peeled for something...

Back