Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Gerrish 16 foot

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by chris pearson, Nov 19, 2019.

1. chris pearson

chris pearson Michigan Canoe Nut

Unique Gerrish with pockets under gunwales at center. Very figured decks, probably quarter sawn oak. Hull in very good shape. Rollin Thurlow thinks it’s pre 1900 due to planking stopping short of the tips and larger headed copper clinch tacks, possibly more in the area of 1890. Another experimental Gerrish I suppose. It’s an honor to restore it!

Attached Files:

2. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

Is there a build number on either of the the decks? It should be right around where those numerals are located.
    What is inscribed on the tag?

3. OP
    OP
    chris pearson

Nope, no serial numbers anywhere. They threw out the original thwarts and seats too!!! Replaced with mahogany thwarts and seats. The thwarts were Charles River style they used in courting canoes. Zach Smith thinks it was sent there at one point, makes sense to me. The varnish was black and rock hard when I got it, many hours of stripping went into it. The ribs have very little wear on them so I dont think it was heavily used/abused. I have enough American Chestnut to replicate the thwarts and seats thank god. Trim out of an old house.

4. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

Repairs look good so far. Keep up the good work!

5. OP
    OP
    chris pearson

Thank you!

6. OP
    OP
    chris pearson

Shot of the amidships thwart in the riveted pockets. Interesting transition from the mortised thwarts right into the gunwales? gerrish center thwart.jpg gerrish quarter thwarts.jpg