Garage Hoist System for Canoe Storage

RoadRunner

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I know people make these themselves, but I'd like to know about dependable systems I could buy off the shelf. Anyone have any recommendations?

Harken IS the best.

Before I knew of Harken and was on a very limited canoe and canoe accessory budget, I bought 6 "cheap" bicycle/canoe hoists for the price of one Harken on eBay.
The cheapies have worked famously with no issues for the 10 years of service!! They look like the Cabelas hoist.

Well, my Cabela hoist (see my post from 2 Jan 2016) is causing me a little problem. The rope has been slipping off the pulley "wheel" and then it locks up because the rope is around the axle. It's hard to get the rope back onto the pulley wheel since it usually gets stuck high up. So far I have managed, but know that I need some better solution. This happens with my heaviest canoe -- 16-foot ~80 pounds. And it happens because there is just a single pulley at either end of the canoe, and that pulley ends up tilting just enough to let the rope slip off the "wheel".
I talked with my WCHA Three Rivers Chapter folks, and they have suggested using a rope with a larger diameter (thinking maybe the rope has stretched over time) . I could do that, but then I recalled this thread and people posting about Harken Hoists.
How does one decide the correct Harken Hoist to order? The Cabela option one was easy - there was only one option! But if I am going to spend the price of a Harken, I'd like to make sure that I am ordering the right one.

Can somebody post pictures of their Harken units please and offer suggestions for the right model to get for my heavy canoe.

Last edited:
Millie,

They are rated by weight capacity but there are several choices in each weight range. Within each weight range there is a choice of models depending on how high you need to raise your canoe. The least expensive one goes 10 feet which should be plenty for your application. You likely need the 25 -90 lb. model.

I was getting together materials to make a kayak hoist for my wife's kayak, to suspend it from the 10' ceiling in our new garage. Had about $40 in pulleys, ropes, used-boat-trailer winch, etc. and was starting to worry whether my 7' step ladder was up to the job on a 10' ceiling.

Then while walking through Menards, I saw a display of really basic, no-frills, kayak wall hangers. One set me back about $16, installed in 10 minutes, and I left the step ladder on its wall hooks.

Ceiling hoist vs wall hanger for a kayak? It's no contest if you have the side room clearance in your garage.
kayak hanger.jpg

There's a lot of great advice here. I have seen the Harken from a distance, but could never find anything like it so I built my own using rope, knots, & pulleys. My current design operates more like the Cabela model, but now that I have a close up pictures and videos of the Harken system, I know how to improve my design. The Ashley Book of Knots remains a good resource for all things knot related. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/816629.The_Ashley_Book_of_Knots

Back