Form Identification...a TRUE longshot!

NickBailey

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello.

The last time I posted here I got a lot of great help identifying a Racine canoe, so I thought I'd try again with something a little more challenging and probably impossible to pin down.

I have a partially completed form I bought from someone whose friend had started to build it, but the builder passed away before it was completed. He didn't know what model it was or where/if his friend bought the plans or designed the boat himself. He just didn't want to see the family burn it for firewood. I also got some milled wood as part of a package deal which was my primary motivation in picking this up.

I estimate the dimensions on the finished product to be:

38 in. max beam (pretty much at the gunwales)
Length: 15 ft. 4 in.
13 in. center depth
21-22 in. height at stems
-it appears to be symmetrical
-1-1.5 in. rocker

I bought this from a person in the Cross Lake, MN area last summer. I'm not sure where exactly the builder was from, but probably nearby. I've looked everywhere I could think of for a boat with similar dimensions listed, but have come up empty. The builder obviously put a ton of work into it though, and seems to have known what they were doing. I'll finish it and build one off it either way because I like the idea of completing the project, but identifying the design would be a great bonus.

I realize this is an almost impossible task, but you never know. Maybe the builder has another buddy who visits here and can help me out.

Thanks!

-Nick

Back