Folsom Arms Tag On Morris

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
My daughter took the attached picture but didn't get any other information about the canoe. I hadn't seen this version of a Folsom Arms tag... my guess is that it was made for this specific Folsom dealer. The standard Folsom tag is a round medallion that may have the canoe's serial number on it.

Attachments

• Morris Folsom tag.jpg
    Morris Folsom tag.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 394
It's not mounted straight... that seems odd to me, though you'd know way better than I, if that was unusual...

Yeah, it's not only not mounted straight, but the screw-slots are in different directions which also appears "unprofessional." My daughter has more pictures of the canoe which she'll share with me eventually. Emily worked for the summer at the Huron Mountain Club, and this was a member's canoe-- parked on the shore and full of gear that she didn't want to mess with in order to read the serial number tag. Generally speaking, Huron Mountain Club members don't want anyone from the outside knowing what magical boats might exist up there, so getting this much is a lucky break.

Here is some Wikipedia info on the Huron Mountain Club, which sits north of Marquette Michigan. It's members are descendants of 19th century industrialists, who loaded up the boathouse with boats built by Rushton and others whom we admire. We don't know what's still there, so our imaginations run wild...

"The Huron Mountain Club is a private club whose land holdings in Marquette County, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, constitute one of the largest tracts of primeval forest in the Great Lakes region. Formed circa 1890, the club consists of 50 dwellings clustered inside about 13,000 acres (20 sq mi; 5,300 ha) of private land, encompassing the Huron Mountains area. The club was founded to establish a remote hunting and fishing club for outdoor enthusiasts. The original charter limited membership to 50 partners. The property encompasses several lakes and approximately 10,000 acres (16 sq mi; 4,000 ha) of old-growth forest.

Through its long association with the non-profit Huron Mountain Wildlife Foundation, the Huron Mountain Club has been the site of a wide range of research in field biology and geology. Naturalist Aldo Leopold produced a plan for preserving the tract in 1938."

Back