41.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 794
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 808
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 762
Looks good to me. I've used a spritz of water and a hot iron on some puckers that weren't too bad. It's normal to have to pull staples/tacks and redo some areas. Tugging one way or the other a bit. Getting a bit more tension. One thing for sure, blunt boats like yours are much harder to do than more slender pointy ends.

I do rowboats by hand without stretching with clamps. I temporarily staple one end and then put my foot on the other and stretch it by hand and tack it and then proceed as usual.

Penn Yan used pinked aircraft Dacron tape to cover the seams at the transom and the bow. They also used Nitrate and Butyrate airplane dope and fastened the tape with Nitrate dope.

Your overlap around the transom should work, but will take some work to fair it into the transom.

Dave...you made my day when you said it was harder to canvas the blunt boats! I feel somewhat vindicated for my troubles! :) Gil...ordered the tape and glue and waiting on the delivery now. Thanks for the info.

It's alot harder and I ain't lying. Just ask Gil. Covering blunt ends with Gil's heavy duty dacron is even more harder yet. But it all works out given a little patience.

The heavyweight Dacron can be heat shrunk since it has only gone through the first heat shrinking procedure. . A heat gun works well, and it conforms to the hull shape better if it is glued along the gunnel.
Untreated cotton duck can be shrunk with water and a heat gun , as Dave said. Penn Yan cartoppers are a challenge to canvas smoothly because of the blunt nose, which changes the girth dramatically in a short distance.

Kevin-your rowboat looks great, gave me the inspiration to go out to the garage and get past my mental block that was keeping me away. I'll post some before and after photos of my Penn Yan. I think your canvass came out great. I'm still working on the interior.

On penn Yan cartoppers, I used either traditional aircraft dope, Cecofil latex aircraft dope, or latex pipe lagging. If I used traditional dope, The canvas was painted after a coat of aluminized butyrate dope was applied.
I don't recall that I've ever painted directly onto tape that has Nitrate dope, so I don't know the answer to your question. Somebody on the forum is likely to have used traditional filler over the tape so I'll defer to them.

Well, filler has cured, keel attached and first coat of primer on the hull tonight. Kirbys C-Green paint waiting to be applied. Soon we'll have some color!

Since last time, a total of 3 coats of primer went on, followed by 4 coats of Kirby's C-Green. Boat has been flipped and all the hardware, gunwales, and other wood trim has been re-assembled. Stem bend has been de-painted and buffed up to it's original copper look and should be installed tomorrow evening. I am waiting to put the red stripe on until I get the Penn Yan decals which are en route. Trying to keep it as original as possible. Getting really close now. I also have aquired a 1958 Evinrude Model 3026 Lightwin 3 hp outboard for the stern. I went to pick it up and first pull she fired like a champ. Great little motor to complete the package. This has been a fun adventure and I hope I haven't bored anybody with this thread. I wanted to share my experience (and ask for your advice along the way!). Thanks!

Not going to be complete for the assembly, but I have a canoe that will make the trip. Looking forward to meeting folks as this will be my first assembly, if I don't get called away out west to fight the forest fires. Currently I'm on call, so maybe I will see some of you next week, maybe not.....

Attachments

• 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 812
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 876
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 886
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 866
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 988
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 824
Very nice job. I expect you'll have a good time at Assembly (if you make it) -- our first one was last year, and we're going again.

Boat is complete! Thanks for all the kind words and support as I took on this project! I am happy with the results!

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 778
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 731
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 778
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 737
and finally!

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 713
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 683
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 714
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 748
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 667
By the way, I like your motor. I looked at a '63 a few months ago, but couldn't agree to a price with the seller. I'm keeping my eyes open for another.

Kurt

I got mine on eBay for a very reasonable price. Went to pick it up at the marina that had it for sale and first pull she started like a champ!

Back