First Restoration - Penn Yan Cartopper.

rangerkevin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
So I finally took the plunge and started my first restoration. It is a Penn Yan Cartopper WXH 9038 or 9039. I took delivery of the boat last Sunday and began the process. The boat had some rot around the transom and bow from being stored upsidedown. I started the process of dismantling the rotten pieces. I tried to keep them intact as possible to use them as a guide when it comes down to making the new pieces. Outside gunwales have both been removed as well as pieces from the top of the transom. I hit up the local lumber yard for a 14 ft. board yesterday. I milled the 2 new gunwales and routed the notch and clamped them in place. I'm going to be able to splice in the last 10 inches or so of both inwales as the rest of them is pretty serviceable.

My plan is to screw the gunwales in place and get the transome pieces placed back as well. Once I get that done, I plan to remove the keel and get the canvas completely removed. I then will strip the interior. That is solid and should be pretty straightforward to do. From what I can see, there should be no surprises.

Once I finish I then plan to recanvas the boat. I am a bit scared of this process. Anyone in the Hudson Valley (NY) that would show a rookie the ropes? ;) I have ordered the canvas, filler, and tacks to complete this from Stewart River. Alex was helpful in figuring out what I needed.

I'll attach the photos and will update as progress is made. Any suggestins / hints along the way well appreciated. Wish me luck! :D

Last edited:
Before pictures

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 1,511
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 1,270
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 1,201
continuing....

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 961
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 883
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 931
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 839
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 886
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 969
last one until more progress is made.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 867
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 852
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 852
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 914
Kevin - those Penn Yan Cartoppers are awfully good-looking boats, in my opinion, with great lines. Yours looks like a nice, pretty, and solid example. I did a Sebago cartopper a couple of years ago, and pondered, worried and sweated over the canvassing job for days. It turned out to be the easiest part of the restoration! Just make a note of where the Penn Yan folks started the slit in the canvass for the bow area, and note how they handled the canvass fold-overs at the stern and you'll be fine. I watch the Rollin Thurlow webcam site, and he can cut the canvas to the correct length for a canoe and about three hours later he will have tacked it on and have even applied the first filler coat!!! Yes, he's done a thousand of them, but I think you will get my drift - it ain't that difficult. By the way, you might consider stainless steel staples instead of tacks. Tacks require three hands - one to stretch the canvas, one to hold the tack and one to hold the hammer. With staples, you can eliminate that second hand. Good luck with the great project. Al

So I did quite a bit of work on the wood the past 2 days. I have the gunwales all attached and all the workaround the transom is done. It was a bit of trial and error (mostly error) getting everything to fit. I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far. I got the canvas totally removed today and will be able to use most of the keel. I will scarf in the last foot or so as it is pretty well rotten. The planking is very solid thankfully. Very difficult removing all those soft brass screws with years of paint filling in the grooves! I plan on removing the seats next and stripping the interior. I cleaned a lot of loose varnish today. Some photos of the progress.

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 976
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 951
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 954
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 937
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Thanks! Slow going on the stripping. About 5 feet stripped...7 to go! 51 ribs and all the half ribs to clean between = long hours and sore back!

Well, boat has been completely stripped and stained to match the original look. Not perfect, but still pretty good looking. Had a "stain mishap" during the staining process. Had the can of stain in the boat and the boat rocked spilling over half the can. Not good! I was able to get most of it soaked up, but left a pretty nice stain on the garage floor were the stain went through the boat! Oops! Minus some of the outer hull being stained, I think I survived unscathed.

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 830
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 840
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 914
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 885
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 888
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 964
Hey -- another stain on the garage floor -- just "patina." Nice looking job -- I really like the little quarter ribs on either side of the bow stem.

A complete set of decals has the deck decal and 2 side decals that go slightly ahead of the transom in line with the red stripe 2" below the rails.

Check out my small small world post under miscellaneous. I just picked up original Penn Yan Boat oars, 6 1/2 feet long, with leather and oarlocks attached, at a local flea market. Perfectly legible labels, with some honest age showing. All I need is oars, my boat is a thompson take a long, a pair of 7 footers would suit me fine. If they would help authenticate your boat we should talk

Well, things have been moving along and since I have last posted. 3 coats of spar varnish now grace the interior of the boat! Yesterday I began canvassing with a couple extra pair of hands! Very helpful indeed. This was my first experience with canvassing and it was great to have others that have done it before. It seemed to go pretty straightforward until I reached the bow! Yikes, I had a time trying to remove all the bulges and bunches and I'm sure that there are little tricks and secrets to it, but I was alone at that point and only had my own brain to pick, and that was about picked clean! I did manage to get one side done last night and the other side today with the transom to finish the canvassing. Ready to apply the filler now! Please don't be too critical with the canvassing job. It was my first time with it and I know I have a lot to learn. I think it came together pretty well for a newbie! :)

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 962
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 910
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 936
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg