Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Final stage of strip restoration - need some guidance please

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Tim Doherty, Apr 21, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Tim Doherty

Tim Doherty Curious about Wooden Canoes

Dan,

The value is in the character and I take a responsibility to the heritage of this canoe/builder . I've never had illusions of this being a work of art, but to me its important that I do the best possible work I can. This is accomplished with the like minded folks I have meet on this site and others. I appreciate that you have not heard of Ross Ellery or possibly other regional builders . Possibly someone will be fortunate enough to collect one of yours in the future and will care enough to restore it, respecting the canoe/builder . " I found this old Lindberg canoe and want to learn all I can and restore it " .

Tim

Bo Saxbe likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Tim Doherty

Hello Todd,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will post pictures later this week of the Keel and hopefully the completed canoe.

Tim

3. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Thanks for the reply Todd, again, I was just curious.
    Please do post some pics as you progress with the restore.

Dan

4. OP
    OP
    Tim Doherty

A short update ,
    > Two applications of West System 105/207 epoxy down the keel line.
    > Two applications of Interlux 96 to exterior and out wales. aprox 16.3 oz (weight/mass)
    > I intend to let this cure fully before one application of varnish to the interior.
    > I have not applied the stem bands as of yet. I have found a brass stock that is .5" wide and .125 thick. I found it to be very difficult to form/bend to the stem profiles. I'm thinking this brass has an alloy that stiffens it. Does anyone have experience with annealing brass to soften it ?

I'm very satisfied with the finish to date. a few pics attached. Including what I woke up to on May 8th! 20200508_072825.jpg 20200513_114029.jpg

5. mccloud

mccloud "Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac

I'm no metalworking expert, but I had to fit the wide brass stemband to a White canoe. To make the old stemband more flexible, ?malleable? I heated it with a Bernzomatic propane torch, then quenched in water. That definitely softened the brass. It took many dozens, hundreds, of small taps with a small hammer to get the proper shape, but it eventually happened.