Filler

Hoofangler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I’m re canvassing a 1955 oT 16’ Guide. I was given 4 quarts of old school Old Town Canoe canvas filler. Will these 4 qts be enough for the fill and if not can I use another product on top of the Old Time branded product. Thanks!
Mike

Since nobody has jumped in, I'll give it a start. One gallon should be sufficient filler for a 16' canoe. I've done a 17' with one gallon. You can look on this site for recipes for filler. Remember that old-time filler is basically an oil based enamel paint. Most of the components are readily available, the only one not common is the fine silica which you might find at a ceramics place. I've added plastic microbeads to filler to extend it and that works fine. If the filler you have is very old, it is probable that the silica has settled to the bottom and is now a solid lump. You will have to mix this old filler very thoroughly to re-suspend the silica. Having lumps as you apply it to the canoe would not be a good thing. Adding just a bit of linseed oil or turpentine to your old filler, if necessary to make it spreadable ( you don't want the filler to have the consistency of toothpaste), would not hurt. Just don't dilute to the point where the filler becomes runny. TM..

Thank you! Great advice about the linseed/Turps and silica. I have both on hand. That concern was the only thing holding me back from starting the recanvas. Let the games begin!

I used a 60's gallon of OT filler I was given a couple years back. Loved it and discussed with Benson of the possible recipe which I have and continue to use. Great stuff and best I've ever used. Just spend the xtra couple minutes of shaking it well getting the gunk off the bottom of the cans. I recommend adding a bit of mildewcide to any filler which is readily available at most paint carrying locations. I would recommend putting all 4 quarts in a larger container and mixing together.

Back