Experience with 3M 5200?

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
I have seen posts in these forums for the use of 3M 5200 adhesive to seal gaps, for example, between strips in a strip-built, all-wood canoe. I had never used it but recently found an excuse to give it a try (not on a canoe). It has now been 3 days and this stuff can still be smeared around with a fingertip! How long does it take 5200 to get hard? What I have learned is that if you are in a hurry to move on to the next step, don't use 5200. Tom McCloud

I have seen posts in these forums for the use of 3M 5200 adhesive to seal gaps, for example, between strips in a strip-built, all-wood canoe. I had never used it but recently found an excuse to give it a try (not on a canoe). It has now been 3 days and this stuff can still be smeared around with a fingertip! How long does it take 5200 to get hard? What I have learned is that if you are in a hurry to move on to the next step, don't use 5200. Tom McCloud

I have not used it but I am familiar with it.
Here is a snip from the Jamestown product information for it:
This high performance polyurethane adhesive sealant becomes tack-free in 24-48 hours, and completely cures in 5-7 days with no shrinking. The seal is extremely strong, retaining its strength above or below the waterline. 5200 stays flexible and allows for structural movement.

Consider using 5200 Fast Cure instead if the quickest possible cure rate is a consideration. It has slightly less tensile strength, but provides full cure in as little as 24 hours.

Clearly the product is a slow "setter". I suppose that the cure might be even slower if you have applied a thick application of it.
Note that the Fast Cure is still pretty slow, 24 hours.

MGC I think means 5400 fast cure instead. On the 5200 NO, one word to describe this stuff PERMANENT you will never get it off once it cures without a chisel. If it's a nice old boat or canoe it will have to be repaired one day and this stuff will not let you take things apart. The 5400 is better dries fast. Better still, Boatlife life-caulk comes in a nice brown color, this stuff is great can be sanded and painted , it can take a week to cure but it's worth it. Iv'e done a lot of boat seams and old wood canoe seams with it. Dave

David's post comes at a good time because I have an all-wood canoe that will need a good bit of caulk as I work on it this winter. The 3M 5200 was not used on a wood boat. Rather, I was building a saddle, and used it to glue together 4 laminates of foamed polyethylene. The stuff is really tough once set, but after you apply it, go away for a week and give it a chance to completely cure. Otherwise you have a mess. Tom McCloud

Back