Evan H. Gerrish's canoe shops in Bangor, Maine

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
It had always surprised me that Evan H. Gerrish had been able to jump from the woods near Moosehead lake directly to a prime commercial address in the heart of downtown Bangor, Maine in the early 1880s. However, this location was well covered by the Sanborn Insurance maps so they can provide some insights into how his business changed over the years.

Gerrish-1881.jpg

His first Maine Register listing was in 1881 under the "Fishing Tackle" heading as "GERRISH E. H., 18 Broad. Manufacturer Fine Rods, Canvas Canoes, Paddles &c." His heading had been expanded to "Fishing Tackle and Canoe Manfr." in the 1884 edition. The Sanborn Insurance map from this year shows a three story building at 16 to 22 Broad Street and identifies it as being used as a "Sail Loft, Ship Stores & Chandl'y" with three attached buildings used as offices, slate and coal storage. Another search through the 1884 Maine Register shows a broad variety of businesses sharing that building as described below.

Bangor_1884_Sanborn.jpg

Ship Brokers: Cram Gilman, Broad.
Coal: Hincks & Co., 20 and 22 Broad.
Contractors, Railroad and Telegraph: Barnes & Snow, 20 Broad.
Fishing Tackle and Canoe Manufacturer: E. H. Gerrish, 18 Broad.
Hay and Straw / Lumber, Commission: Cram Gilman & Co., 18 Broad.
Horse Dealers / Carriages: G. W. & W. L. Whitney, 20 Broad.
Lumber, Commission: Issac M. Bragg, 18 Broad.
Sail Makers: Berry & Smith, Broad.
Slate: H. A. Merrill, 20 Broad.
Ship Stores and Chandlery: Hincks & Nealley, 20 and 22 Broad.
Wood and Charcoal: Charles L. Snow, 20 Broad.

Bangor_1889_Sanborn.jpg Bangor_1895_Sanborn-canoe.jpg

The Maine Register and Sanborn map from 1889 shows that Gerrish had moved several blocks to the second floor of a building on the corner of Exchange and Hancock Streets where he was over a saloon and a dining room. He had vacated that space by 1895 and moved up Hancock Street to the first floor of a building that he shared with a blacksmith in the basement and storage on the second floor.

Bangor_1901_Sanborn.jpg

The 1901 map shows that this shop had become part of a boot factory and he had moved back down to the second floor over the saloon on the corner of Hancock and Exchange streets. This map also shows that he had a competitor on the third floor of an office building at 104 Exchange Street named C. B. Thatcher.

Bangor_1906_Sanborn.jpg

The 1906 map shows that the saloon on the first floor had been replaced by a barber, a Chinese laundry, and some offices but he was simply identified as a carpenter on the second floor. Both his building and Thatcher's across the street were now flagged as high fire risks with green shading.

It is amazing that he built so many canoes in such small spaces.

Benson

Last edited:
This is an old thread but I have an update. Zach Smith (a.k.a. 1905Gerrish) kindly gave Bob Bassett and me a tour of his wonderful canoe and boat collection this morning. It reminded me of another unexplored research avenue available to learn about Evan Gerrish and the beginnings of his canoe building business. The Bangor Public Library has a great collection of old city directories at the link below.

Gerrish isn't listed in the one from 1875-1876 but he is listed in the 1877-1878 one as a boarder at 51 State Street. This building has been torn down. The 1880 and 1882 ones listed him as a builder of "fly rods, etc." at 18 Broad Street whose home was at 18 East Summer Street. The picture at the link below indicates that this was not a big house.

The 1884 one lists him living at 103 Broadway, which has also been torn down but is in a much nicer neighborhood. The 1885-1886 one shows 225 French Street as his home, which no longer exists. The 1890 one expanded his business description to "fly rods, canoes, etc." and the business had moved to Hancock Street at the corner of Exchange Street. The 1891 to the 1893-1894 ones described his business as a "canoe mnfr." The 1895-1896 one expanded this to "canoe manufacturer" and the business moved to 63 Hancock Street. The 1897-1898 one listed the business at 37 Hancock Street and his home at 106 Congress Street. This is a bigger house as shown in the link below.

The 1899 one added "factory Valley av." and the advertisement shown below.

1695519255903.png

The 1901 issue had the same text.

It appears that his business may have transitioned from fly rods to canoes much later than is commonly believed.

Benson

Benson,
Just doing a bit of follow up myself. The 1885-86 Bangor City Directory has Evan listed as a canvas boatbuilder on page 243 at 18 Broad St. The 1887-88 Bangor City Directory has Evan listed as a canvas boatbuilder on page 246 on 18 Broad St. Between 1880 and 1885 in the Bangor City Directory, he is listed under a fishing tackle dealer. Interestingly H.L Leonard, the famous bamboo rod maker moved out of Bangor in 1881 leaving Gerrish the only rod maker in town.
Zack

The 1885-86 Bangor City Directory has Evan listed as a canvas boatbuilder

Good point, simply searching for 'canoe' will miss things like that.

The chart below may help answer your other question about how many people might have been working for Gerrish building canoes.

1695669488969.png

This shows the number of people in the Bangor Directories who were identified as a "canoe builder." It was a seasonal business so Gerrish probably had more employees in various other roles. Some of these people may have been employed by Thatcher or Gould but that doesn't seem likely. Archie Williams was listed as a "brakeman M. C. R. R." in 1893 and he was boarding at 225 French Street where Evan Gerrish lived. I suspect that he was probably helping to build a few canoes during this time. Hartley Hodge was a "carriage maker" in 1893 and ran the York Street Carriage Works in 1901 so he didn't stay in the canoe business for long. Wilmot Colomy was listed as a "clerk" in 1901 but may have been working for Gerrish in that role. Caleb Thatcher and Charles Gould were both a deputy lumber surveyor in 1895 before they each started their own canoe businesses. The directories expanded to include Veazie in 1901. Bertie N. Morris and eight other people were listed as working at B. N. Morris. His older brother Charles was listed as a machinist and Walter Grant was a painter. Grant left Morris in 1909 to help start the Kennebec Canoe Company. Fun stuff,

Benson

Last edited:
The articles in the attached PDF may have been posted previously, but I'm too lazy to try to find out. What is interesting is that in the 1885ish time period there is a pull on Gerrish's time in two directions - fishing rods and canoes.

Attachments

• Gerrish articles transcribed.pdf
    20 KB · Views: 79
The articles in the attached PDF may have been posted previously, but I'm too lazy to try to find out. What is interesting is that in the 1885ish time period there is a pull on Gerrish's time in two directions - fishing rods and canoes.
Dan,
The third article is very interesting and can offer a bit of help as to another discussion Benson and I have had as to when seats were first fitted in canoes- 1886
Zack

I've expanded the table below from the previous response with a few more years. Gerrish appears to have made Herbert Walton a full partner in 1905. The business was moved to Costigan by 1909. Martin Jameson seems to have taken over the business of Charles Gould since the address is the same in Brewer. The B. N. Morris company was down to seven employees in 1910 due to Grant's departure.

Benson

1696260179731.png

Last edited:
Nice work as always Benson. Curious as the why Herb Walton isn't x'd for the later years as we know he continued on the business.

why Herb Walton isn't x'd for the later years

I had missed his entry for 1907 so I just updated the chart in the previous message. His 1909 listing said that he had "removed to Costigan." It is also interesting that his occupation was a canoe builder in the 1900 and 1910 census but had become a "patrolman" at the "State Road" (i.e. a state police officer) by 1920 as shown below. The canoe business in Costigan appears to have only lasted to 1912. It was also worth noting that Evan Gerrish described himself as a "Fish Rod Maker" in the 1880 census.

Benson

Census-1900-Walton.jpg
Census-1910-Walton.jpg
Census-1920-Walton.jpg

1695692615079.png

Last edited:
Back