Does Anyone Know The Canoe Manufacturer?

Brian King

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Purchased this canoe a few years ago from the relative of a deceased canoe enthusiast. We generally restore Old Towns for our own use so this canoe was a good one for my son's first restoration as practice. The deck and stern tips were rotten and canoe was bare of any canvas. Canoe was restored, seats caned and exterior was fiberglassed using the West System. The deck has an Indian Head inlay of walnut, cherry and curly maple. Not sure if this was a kit or built by the original owner. Does anyone know if this is a known canoe manufacturer? It has plagued us for years.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 532
I don't recognize the Indian head in connection with any major manufacturer. The keelson looks like a home made or highly modified canoe. Let us know if you find the answer.

Benson

Baker Custom Canoes in Coleman< Mi made canoes with Indian Head inlay and keelsons. Brian Baker is pretty nice guy but not on here, I don't think. His dad Jay made canoes for years and years. Lots of flexible ribs was also a construction detail of a Baker. You could try to contact him maybe in the Coleman, Mi phone book. He may have contact info here on this site too. You might have a Baker!

Brian, Benson, Dave,

Yes, that would be a Baker Canoe as Dave W. has a keen eye for detail. The Keelson is the first unique signature of the Baker Canoes. Once asked Brian why the Keelsons? He tells us "light weight" is their objective as their ribs are smaller and other features to cut the weight of their canoes, thus the Keelson made up for the needed strength for lighter woods selected.

Baker's Custom Canoes & Boats article was featured in the Wooden Canoe Journal Summer 1986 Number 27. On page 13 you will recognize the very same Indian Head design. Ours (16' Baker) has also a inlaid Teepee on the Stern deck. It appears from Brian King's photo the canoe is a 13 footer? We also have a 13' Baker built by the patriarch of the family- Jay Baker. Jay began building canoes in the 1950's and taught the craft to Brian. For various groups on Michigan Brian has built voyager canoes that exceed 30 feet! WCHA life member Brian has built canoes on display at Busch Gardens and a few restaurants in the Midwest.

Call him, he loves to talk canoes, paddling, repair, etc. His method of canvassing is like no other!
Sincerely- Ossineke paddlenpen@gmail.com

He told me about it but I've not seen it in person. The canvassing that is. And I don't think it's a secret so ....
He has a seam down the keel line. the canvas is two piece. He told me it goes on a lot easier this way. He also said that more and thinner ribs tend to flex over obstructions and break less than thicker ribs. he said like the ribs of a snake can slither easily, so can his canoes. The last I heard he still had lots of ash and cedar and copper tacks. He uses an open form too. So he can adjust length.

Dave, Dan, Ossineke and Benson-

I ordered the Wooden Canoe Journal Summer 1986 Number 27...page 13 and waited patiently. I reviewed the article and pictures with relish... there is now no doubt that this is a Baker canoe. Really appreciate your help identifying it... its been a mystery to us for years that is now solved. I remain amazed at your collective canoe knowledge.

Brian

Brian, I see you are from Farmington, the MI Chapter has a paddle coning up at the end of the month in Grayling on the AuSable River. If you are interested in information about our Chapter contact me at dmd421@comcast.net, we'd love to have you join us!

Debbie

Back