Das Klepper - Wanderzweier seine Konstruction

John Maderic

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Well, although my insanity with this wooden boat thing seems to have no borders, I only had to drive an hour and a half to look at these! I have not certified the ID on these two German made folding boats, but they are reputed to be a 1929 Klepper Wanderzweier 17' sailing kayak, and a 1938 Foltboote Hart model 10' rowboat. The kayak especially is an amazing piece of craftsmanship and design. All nicely crafted hardwood and brass fasteners, balanced for strength and weight. They were partially assembled when I went to purchase them, but, with the instructions all in German, I still have a few pieces to go. The kayak appears to have places for two saild , but it can with just the one. Theres a food pedal mechanism with cables that went back through holes in the cowling to the rudder, which is missing. The bow and stern wood pieces are there with the nicely made chromed stem bands, the one fitted to hold the rudder. Once the kayak is assembled , there are sponsons that are separate from the outer skin that get blown up forbouyancy and are supposed to make the skin nice and tight to the frame. As the skins were in ten below weather last night, I haven't yet unfolded them. I fear they may be good enough to get the boats in the water, but would need replacing in the long run. I'm thinking of possibly canvasing them and then waterproofing with flexible product as Ive seen talked of here. Even an aftermarket skin goes for well over a 1000$, closer to 2. With a couple canoe projects ahead of these, plenty of time to decide. More pics and info to follow.

Attachments

• DSCF4738.jpg
    DSCF4738.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 344
  • DSCF4733.jpg
    DSCF4733.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCF4732.jpg
    DSCF4732.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCF4734.jpg
    DSCF4734.jpg