Dark Red?

Lew's Canoes

Canoe Builder
I am restoring an OT canoe and the Build Record says the original color was Dark Red. Can anyone recommend how to match this? Perhaps a color from Kirby's or Epiphanes, or somewhere else that might be close? There is no evidence on the canoe to work from, so I am somewhat blind on this one.........Thanks, Lew

Hi Lew,

If you are going to use Epifanes try #16 with a wee bit of black mixed in. The black goes a long way so I would try just a spoonful or two at a time to a full can of red.

Hope you are well out there in western NY.

Kirby's

Attached are two shots of my 1935 Otca painted with Kirby's #8 "See Red" straight from the can. Neither picture is that great but it's what I have on hand. It's a dark red, almost a brown red, not bright like a fire truck. The darkest of the three reds on Kirky's paint card.

Jim C.

Attachments

• RedCanoe 003.jpg
    RedCanoe 003.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 405
  • RedCanoe 005.jpg
    RedCanoe 005.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 415
Lew,
I recently painted a canoe with burgundy Petit EasyPoxy Topside paint. I'm very pleased with the color. The on-line color chart does not do it justice. Here's a photo that comes fairly close to showing the actual color.
Bill

Attachments

• Kennebec1sm.jpg
    Kennebec1sm.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 462
Lew,
I also painted a canoe with Pettit's burgandy paint, but added 1/8 cup black per quart. Makes a great vintage red.

Attachments

• OldRed.jpg
    OldRed.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 425
Thanks Kathryn, Dylan, jim, Bill, and Jeff for your responses - good advice from all. I have used the Petit Burgundy as well and it does make a pretty canoe - I think I will try mixing in a little black when the time to repaint comes along! Happy Thanksgiving ! Lew

Dark Red and other colors

Kirby's has been very helpful and cooperative mixing special colors and degrees of dullness for old sample models and full size canoes.

R.C.

One of the most popular colours for me to paint canoes with is a dark red. I've been using it for about 11 years now. I tried all sorts of combinations to get the colour that I liked but find the best result is just pure red with black added. More black makes a dark brown sort of colour.

When you get a result that you like, make a good size colour chip and keep it somewhere safe! You'll likely need it. Maybe write some notes on the back...

Back