Craigslist never sleeps...

bredlo

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Look what somebody "stole" this morning in Berlin, CT. 400 bucks.

I missed it by mere hours, and in talking with the seller I don't think he had any clue what he had. He thought it was from the 30's, while I think it looks an awful lot like an 1890's Rushton.

He said the buyer is local and plans on toting it to antique car shows to show off a bit. If you happen to live in the area and see it going down the road this summer, you may want to help the owner take especially good care of it, or heck - offer to double his money. :p

Interestingly, "Teddykins", which is written on the side... was a nickname of Theodore Roosevelt. Roosevelt was friends with Frederic Remington... who illustrated some of Rushton's catalogues. It's enough to make you daydream about the history of a canoe like this...

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 521
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 5L85O15E73E93M73J6c761d1079ef8947121e.jpg
    5L85O15E73E93M73J6c761d1079ef8947121e.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 541
Nice looking St.Lawrence River skiff... I don't think it is a Rushton, but a nice boat nonetheless. Looks like it was worth the 400 bucks.

Thanks for weighing in, Dan! That era of boats all look a bit similar to my untrained eye.

I was also asleep at the wheel and also a few hours late.
The skiff was sold for less than the asking price.

Mike

That makes you doubly late, Mike... since I posted about it here before you, too. :)

Sure hope it doesn't get painted or fiberglassed - looks like quite a survivor.

Back