Craigs new ride...

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Totally original Peterborough Mermaid. Dont want to impinge on his privacy, but i consider this a unicorn as it has no tip rot. Not too often that happens! Would liked to have kept this one but given its size i'd need one for my other foot...

Attachments

• IMGP3055.jpg
    IMGP3055.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 470
  • IMGP3056.jpg
    IMGP3056.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 464
  • IMGP3057.jpg
    IMGP3057.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 463
  • IMGP3059.jpg
    IMGP3059.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 461
  • IMGP3060.jpg
    IMGP3060.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 450
  • IMGP3061.jpg
    IMGP3061.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 441
Funny thing about unicorns......and Mermaids.

Here's one for your other foot Andre! This one was in northern WI and I thought for sure Dave O. would have gotten his hands on it first. It came from a gentleman who bought it new in upstate NY in 1960 and has kept it stored indoors all it's life. One owner, 55 years, incredible. I almost thought twice about this one due the sailing kit he made and added himself with Old Town hardware (back in the 60's), but it was in such nice shape. Never wrecked, never repaired. I find the deck decal/plate (?) very interesting.

I don't post much....okay - ever, but couldn't resist when Andre posted those shots.

portagedogDSC05587.jpgDSC05589.jpgDSC05599.jpgDSC05600.jpgDSC05602.jpg
DSC05601.jpg

Dave - not at all....wouldn't think of it....you were "portage-dogged"! We've spoken before about a 15' Chestnut (Chum?) pleasure canoe I'm refurb'ing, thought it has been a while. I'm a native cheesehead suffering on the east coast...cut me a little slack. It was on paddling.net and I was sure you would have at least seen that one. No pics and no asking price, so it wasn't exactly well represented.

Stew

No sweat, Stew! Just kidding. Never saw it..... Glad it went to a good home!
I typically don't look for or buy canoes unless they are nearly free.... I have three "users" and a wooden rowboat that I love, use, and maintain. My restoration backlog keeps me from buying and fills up the storage space.
I gave up being a collector about the time I started restoration as a full time vocation.

Both of these canoes look like great boats.

I do wish I/we had seen the Northern Wis one, but oh well, I never visit Paddling.net anymore, and certainly don't "need" another canoe.

Both of you show us some pics of them in the water please.

Dan

Thanks for outing me Andre. It's only #13. We couldn't get around both our wives finding out so they could handle the technology of Pay Pal and I don't care who else knows. Diane was very tolerant since it was so close to Christmas, saved her some shopping, Oh and I may have told her it was for my brother but she was smarter than that. I had asked Andre to keep an eye out for one of these for me. Interesting that he found one a week before Christmas. If any one is coming down to the States after Jan.21st. that boat is looking for a ride. Our chapter is having an interesting presentation by Alice Brylawski on her solo completion of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. It is Jan. 23rd. in Pittsburg At Max Peterson's wood shop. Bring the boat and visit our chapter at the same time or I could come up further north while I'm up that way.
Next question. I just finished carving a new paddle out of american chestnut and am considering oil instead of varnish as a finish. How about opening up the discussion about what others have used and the results.
Thanks

RE: Oil vs Varnish: Look in the Paddles and Paddlemaking forum here, and you'll find no shortage of opinions to choose from!

Basically, it's an aesthetic issue, and depends on your preference. It's your paddle, do as you please!

But please post pictures of it... We like pictures of canoes and anything canoe-related...

Congrats on your new toy. You're now one ahead of me - still holding at twelve. Looks like a beautiful boat. If anything it's in better shape than mine was. Looks like it's ready to paddle.

Andy, I'm at a personal best for low numbers with 11, and this one's cosmetically just a little nicer but not by much. Iirc I think your gunwales were ash? This one is spruce so might be marginally lighter, seats are maple. Could be used with a coat of paint but if it turns out like his Kennebec it will look great totally restored.

Craig, look at your wanigan, that chestnut has 3 coats of polymerized tung oil rubbed down. I think it will age better than varnish and really they don't stay under water that long. It does great on rifle stocks and such so that would be my preference but then I am gradually getting away from the shiny dipped look on most everything. Just my 2c cdn, or .0146 US.

I'm sure Craig will having it look great. It's a wonderful little canoe for solo paddling. i love mine. Debating whether to put the seats back in. Might be a good tandem for little people, but a bit tight for normal size folks. Looking forward to seeing it.

Couple more shots, sure looked small on the roof! Ash decks and thwarts, maple seats and spruce rails in original canvas.

Attachments

• IMGP3119.jpg
    IMGP3119.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMGP3112.jpg
    IMGP3112.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 394
  • IMGP3111.jpg
    IMGP3111.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 382
  • IMGP3103.jpg
    IMGP3103.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 388
Looks just like mine. It had aluminum stem bands. Otherwise pretty much identical. Wonder if the stem bands would help date it.

Well it has been a whiled since I got this mermaid home. Most of my canoe allocated time has been devoted to the 18 foot sailing canoe to be donated for the upcoming assembly. I'm finally making a little progress on this little beauty just for me. She has been stripped sanded and bleached, ready for varnish next week. Of course next week is deer season in Ohio so might be a couple weeks. Notice I also picked up a new canoe trailer. It had a little damage, I've got all the welding done and reassembled it. Looks like room for eight more canoes.

Attachments

• DSC00292.jpg
    DSC00292.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC00293.jpg
    DSC00293.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC00461.jpg
    DSC00461.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC00466.jpg
    DSC00466.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC00464.jpg
    DSC00464.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 377
Rady for Canvas

Finally got some time to work on my Mermaid again. New lighter decks and thwarts.Varnished inside and out. Ready for canvas and filler.

Attachments

• DSC00488.jpg
    DSC00488.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC00489.jpg
    DSC00489.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 320
Looking nice Craig. Like that contrast with the lighter decks and thwarts. No seats then? How much weight do you think you cut off?

Hi Murat.
The center thwart is the original ash, I thinned it down and hollowed out the backside, I think it will still be fine to carry the weight on portage. The quarter thwarts are white cedar since they don't carry any weight. The original ash decks were OK but poorly shaped so I made new and hollowed out the back also. I use a leather seat but Im working on a new design. I'll let you know if it works out. Using #12 canvas. I don't think the little bits of wood I removed will make much difference but we won't know till it's all done. I'm shooting for under 50lb.

Canvased yesterday and filled today. Now up on the rack for six weeks. Guess I'll make some paddles till it's ready for paint.

Attachments

• DSC00499.jpg
    DSC00499.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC00505.jpg
    DSC00505.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 288
Back