Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Copper Tip

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by Craig Johnson, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

McMaster-Carr sells it by thickness, not oz or guage... a 3'x8' sheet ranges from $261 for 0.021" to to $2116 for 0.187"

Best I can measure, the copper tips on all three of my Rushton paddles are about 0.03". A 3'x8' sheet of 0.032" from McMaster is $385. Luckily, you can order it in smaller pieces!

Aren't you glad you asked?
    Dan

2. Ed Moses

Ed Moses LOVES Wooden Canoes

C raig,

Thanx for the detailed, step by step technique you used. Your jig is just perfect! I'll have to do something similiar. Remember emulation is the highest form of flattery. I have a huge roll of 8" wide copper flashing that will /should work just fine. My first attempt some time ago came out just like your first. I was trying to form/bend the copper over a black locust mold cut in the shape of my paddle tips and got all wrinkles also.

Ed

3. Todd Bradshaw

Todd Bradshaw Sailmaker

4. OP
    OP
    Craig Johnson

Craig Johnson LOVES Wooden Canoes

wow Todd, very cool. thanks for that link, I new someone would know what I was talking about. Seeing the level of artistry it can be taken too I have decided to forgo any crude attempt and just let the river gravel do the job.