Copper tacks

MGC

Scrapmaker
I need to buy some tacks for the IG I am working on.
Does anyone know if the tacks from John Wilson ShakerOvalBox.com or Eric Harmon http://harmancanoe.com/build.html are similar to the tacks in the Rushtons?
Are Eric's tacks the same as John's?
These are interesting to me because I can purchase less than one pound.

What about the tacks from Jamestown (in one pound lot's)?

Are there other sources that I should look into?

Any information will be appreciated.

Northwoods canoe used to have copper tacks. I am not sure if they do still, but it would be worth a call to Rollin.

Last edited:
Northwoods canoe used to have copper tacks. I am not sure if they do still, but it would be worth a call to Rollin.

Thanks Mark. I probably should have called Rollin but his site only offers copper for the stems. I did not see 1/2 or 7/8 on his site.
I should give him a call.

I got some from Rollin when I restored my IG years ago. It seems that with a recent order, I had a small flyer that still advertised them. I could be smokin crack though...

Yes, the small 1/4" and 5/16" copper tacks are not a true canoe tack but they work well for their size. I also have a supply of copper canoe tacks,11/16" .

Coincidentally, I noticed the ad for various sizes of "pure, half hard hand drawn copper" clench nails by Strawberry Bank Museum in Portsmouth NH in Messing About in Boats, same page as the Northwoods ad.

Tel; 603-433-1114
No website listed.

Rollin did have the tacks that I needed. He also had the ring nails and other odds and ends I was in need of.

Back