Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Cool Paint Job

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Dave Osborn, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Attached is a photo of a 16' Thompson Hiawatha that I'm currently tearing down for restoration. It has a cool frog on both sides of the bow. Thought you might like to see it.
    This is the canoe that I have been looking for original Thompson seats for on the classifieds. Still looking. The replacement seats, likely Old Town were only $5.25 each when purchased. I have no idea how long ago that was. Any guesses??

Attached Files:

2. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

The frog is great-- will you be able to save it?

I'm thinking '70s for the seats--- they were a couple dollars less in 1960, and my computer won't let me look at the catalogs from the '70s right now (we sometimes face a standoff, and it usually wins).

Kathy

3. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Kath,
    Saved both sides, per customer's instruction. Hoping to talk them out of one when the job is done.

4. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Are you going to paint a new frog? I think you should!

5. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

I'm not that talented, Daniel! I had a canoe come in with sharks teeth on it once. I told the customer that I would be happy to paint it black, but I don't do sharks teeth!:eek:

6. dtdcanoes

dtdcanoes LOVES Wooden Canoes

Frog

Dave, Have you tried ? Just trace the original and put it on the canvas. Practice a little on some masonite, with the correct colors and different brushes, and voila !! . You may even be able to charge for your new found skill.

7. workingbadger

workingbadger Mad Badger

I vote for returning the frog.

8. Jan Bloom

Jan Bloom LOVES Wooden Canoes

Use a white outliining pencil to draw/trace the frog in. Then paint in the correct colors and you have it. A white Staedtler Lumocolor non permanent should do the trick. Or yellow if you prefer. Take the original to a copy place and have some copies run to make templates with.

9. beaver

beaver Birchbark CanoeingBuilder

Frog On Dave!!

10. OP
    OP
    Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

ATTACH=CONFIG]15060[/ATTACH
    If it were my canoe, I'd frog it up like you wouldn't believe!! Outer stems went on yesterday and a varnish touch up today will complete the canoe. I used Epifanes Monourethane paint for the first time. I liked it.

Attached Files:

11. David McDaniel

David McDaniel Canoe Dude

Hey Dave;
    The paint job looks great, BUT, Ya gotta do the Frog!!!!!!
    Good luck Froggy!
    ........Dave

P S I can see the headlines now; Super Dave Does Froggy!!!

12. chris pearson

chris pearson Michigan Canoe Nut

Frog

Gotta do the frog!:rolleyes:

13. workingbadger

workingbadger Mad Badger

frog rewls

I have been working on the frog painting. I hope to finish cleaning it up this weekend. Then I will need to find someone that can make a decal from a .jpg file.

14. Jan Bloom

Jan Bloom LOVES Wooden Canoes

Painting the frog will only require one set of stencils. Decals will require 2 in mirror image.

15. Paul Waqué

Paul Waqué Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

If you can get your hands on a computer projector, then you could project the image of the frog on the canoe to get the outline.