Clarion River

Jim Wilson

WCHA Member
I've heard some good thing about the Clarion River in western PA. We are looking for a 3 day trip prior to assembly next year, and we thought that this might be good....if we are going to Keuka again. Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks up front.

Clairon River Info.

Jim,

I have not been on the Clarion, but it is high on the list. My copy of Canoeing Guide to Western Pennsylvania and Northern West Virginia published by the Pittsburgh Council of the American Youth Hostels is over ten years old, but it lists several trips on the Clarion that sound great. We have a Western PA chapter meeting coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm sure that some of our members have been on it. I will try to get someone to reply. Also, I could copy the info from the guide and send it along if you can't locate a copy.

Max Peterson

Thanks for the info, Max. I've been trying to find a copy without much success. I did find a couple of used ones on Amazon, but the cheapest one is $45! Seems like an awful lot for a used paperback. If I can't find one, I will likely take you up on the offer to send a copy of the appropriate pages from yours. I'll keep working on it.

If I remember correctly, there was an article in "Canoe & Kayak" within the past couple of years. I'll have to check into that also.

Jim

More Clarion River Info.

Jim,

Go to www.fish.state.pa.us and search "Clarion River Water Trail". You will find a complete map with lots of information about access points and attractions. You can find a lot of other information at this site. You can get launch permits and order a hard copy of the map and guide from them. Also visit the Western PA Conservancy site at www.paconserve.org. They have a fair number of canoe trip guides in the form a notes from people actually making the trip, and they will send along the map and guide mentioned above.
I also discovered that a new (2004) copy of the Western Pennsylvania Canoe Guide is presumably available. You can check it out at www.2.cs.cmu.edu/~shaw/CG.html., though I haven't yet tried that address. Let me know what you find out.

Max Peterson

Thanks again, Max. It looks like some good info. I'll have to check into water levels in mid-July. We'd like to go for a paddle....as opposed to a hike dragging a couple of canoes.

Jim

Back