Chestnut Kruger

robin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Does anyone have the correct seat placement for a Chestnut Kruger. Also, did it come with carry thwarts and does it have more than a center thwart? I have seen pics of Krugers with and without carry thwarts.
Thank You

This appears to vary depending on the era. The catalog pictures show carry thwarts in the 1970s and the stern quarter thwart seems to have always been present. See http://www.wcha.org/store/canadian-wood-canoe-and-boat-company-catalog-collection and the example pictures below from 1904, 1957, and 1977 for more details. Someone here who owns one may be able to give you better information. Good luck,

Benson

page-05.gif PAGE-15.GIF page-04.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm... I have 3, and only the late 60's (?) one has carry thwarts, the other two do not. The 60's one is actually a double ribbed guide, but the same form. I don't have a pic of all 3 together, but there is a picture of the two older ones previously posted on here somewhere. They're somewhat different with heart shaped flat decks on the 50's one, and crowned thumbnail decks on the circa 20's one. The early one has had the thwarts moved to offset the center, but the original holes are there that are in the same place as the later ones. I can repost the picture if you'd like. Are you missing your gunnels? There's a really good diagram of the canoe in Roger McGregors book if you can get a copy.

It's my favourite go to canoe, it can carry a load, and it's relatively quick. Here's a shot of the early boat with the changed thwarts... the only pic I can put my hands on just now.

Hope that helps.
chestnutgettingin.jpg

Thanks, I have new inwales and two old thwarts, no seats. I really need the distance from the bow tip to the front of the seats and where the second thwart goes.
Thanks for the carry thwart info.

It's page 61 in Roger's book, but I'll get you those measurements in the morning. Probably most accurate if I measure from the center thwart forward and aft.

Thanks I have the book (When The Chestnut was in Flower) and I can figure out the needed measurements by counting ribs. Thank You and Thanks, Benson.
Robin

Back