Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

chestnut cruiser

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by SWEETWATER, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Larry Meyer

Larry Meyer Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I have Ken Solways book and there is another, "When the Chestnut was in Flower" I think. Glad to loan you the book. There was an outfit that sold CCC t-shirts?

2. OP
    OP
    SWEETWATER

SWEETWATER LOVES Wooden Canoes

that what he said right from the factory and both seats were on it, both his sons went to keewaydin also so he probably picked it up when dropping them off or picking them up. thanks i would love to read the book, i have quite a few good books about maine ,we could loan each other.

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

4. ian

ian Curious about Wooden Canoes

5. ian

(note that the chestnut seats use the same lacing hole arrangement as their cane seats -- fabre canoes wrap around the frame -- while simpler and perhaps a little more ascetically pleasing, i find the leading edges can get uncomfortable on the back of thighs -- particularly when kneeling)

6. OP
    OP
    SWEETWATER

thanks ian, it looks just like my seats minus the mahogany.i just won a bunch of chestnut paper memorabelia on ebay from 1965,the year of my canoe, so maybe it will hold a clue. i will post if there is any.i cant beleive i found the same year as my canoe,like it was ment to be.

7. OP
    OP
    SWEETWATER

ok so i got my paperwork from 1965, and i guess they did make mahogany seats. the pleasure model moonlight came in special white paint with red designs and mahogany seats and mahogany trim. i dont know if it was for 1 year or not.

8. ian

mysteries all solved -- nothing left to do but go paddling now!

9. Joe Hartigan

Joe Hartigan New Member

I currently have a Chestnut Cruiser 17' that came from Keewaydin. It has a K and the number 37 on it. I got it form someone who either worked at or attended the camp. There are no markings on the canoe that say who made it, but I found someone who was able to identify it. Then I looked up the model and this blog popped up. I would love to know more about it.

10. Gil Cramer

Gil Cramer The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.

There are very few canoes faster than a Chestnut cruiser. If you don't race, that means easy paddling!!!. Of course, there is a trade-off. It ain't a flat bottom scow. Great design for canoeists!!!