Cedar connection

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
I am kicking around the idea of building a W/C canoe this winter. I have built five strippers so I have some experience with canoe building. I have the plans for a mold and all of the books and videos so I feel confident with the forums help I could build one. My problem is getting the cedar for the ribs and planking. Western red is not a problem, I have a lot of that for the planking if I have to go that route but I need a resource for the white cedar. I am in Tennessee and there is none to be found. I will hopefully be in Michigan this fall for the Au Sable float so I was thinking it would be more likely to find some there. I have all the tools from a sawmill on down to mill my own so it could be anything from a log to rough sawn planks.
So my question is do any of you Michiganders have a suggestion where I could find a supply while I'm up there?
Norm

Great project! Please keep us posted. Two suggestions for cedar (maybe logs or large dimension rough cut):

The Lumber Shed
2694 Garfield Rd North Ste 28
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-946-3389
thelumbershed@gmail.com
Thelumbershed.biz

The Cedar Shop
215 Ridge Street
Sault Ste Marie, MI 49783
906-635-9233

Thanks Michael,
I need to find something to replace the White.
It would probably be smart to rebuild a couple before I build new, but........

I haven't built cedar-canvas from scratch (I'd love to), but some say that it can be easier to build than to restore. That said, a new build from the start requires constructing both a form and a canoe. You've certainly got the skills in any case. Looking forward to seeing the outcome. I'm sure it will be great. Michael

You could use all WRC. It may be a bit more brittle but it can be done.

I also have a hard time with EWC. I've been thinking about going dumpster diving for mine. Sometimes pallets are made with it. I'm considering experimenting with this idea one day. Just need to find big enough pallets made from the stuff.

monkintoucher,
WRC is much easier for me to get and I am use to working with it but I figured I'd try EWC.
I have never used it before and am very curios about it. I guess getting quarter sawn pieces from "salvage" wood could be difficult.
I would love to try some Cypress in a build one day after I know enough to experiment. There is a lot of it here.

If you come to the Michigan float this fall get ahold of me I can help you out with the cedar. I live just downstream and across the river from Gates lodge.

Hey that's great Gary! I appreciate that.
I may have met you last year. I did the fall float then. Were you there?
I met a lot of great people I just don't remember many of their names.

Norm, be sure to call Gates for a room, dates are Sept. 27-29. for the Michigan Chapter Fall Paddle, it will be great to see you there. Maybe you can come in Thursday, pick up the canoe from Martha and meet up with Gary on Friday? Hope Gary and Karen will join us for dinner Friday night? Still working on plans.
Debbie

Debbie, I have a room reserved. Yeah I figured I take a look at the canoe on my way up. Really looking forward to it.

Back