Canvas mits

for that third coating, where they used to rub by hand, I use latex throw away gloves....thats when using leaded filler...amazing how smooth you can get that last fill with these....works for me!....LOL...and its alot cheaper than rubber gloves....

"The JOY is in the journey!"

Good Lord!!!

I am stunned at how many "avoidance strategies" there are in lieu of sewing. It's not that hard guys. Restoring a canoe is WAY harder than just sewing a mitt for crying out loud. A second grader could sew one! Just put on your big boy panties and sew the dang thing. :confused: I suppose Paul Klonowski is going to say he can't because his are in a clamp being glued together right now.

Last edited:
Stapling is faster than sewing, and requires only hand tools -- no electricity involved.

Are you having these bizarre hallucinations again? C'mon, Margaret, if you're going to be doing drugs like this, at least you should share! :p

Splinter,

Hi Margaret.
Speaking for all men everywhere---We know all about sewing but prefer to pretend we do not because we are just guys and if we admit to it then we will also have to admit to knowing how to use the iron. We never grow up and are always on recess. That's how we roll.

Speak for yourself :) Ironing is, however, out of the question.... Flatness is highly over-rated. Staples are kind of crude though. I'd at least use a hot glue gun.

Attachments

• corner detail 1 copy.jpg
    corner detail 1 copy.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 524
Time

By the time I wait for the glue gun to heat up, I could have 3 sewn already. Also faster than gluing and clamping. This really amazes me. Men seem to love machines of all kinds. You'd think they'd be hogging the sewing machine. I taught my ex husband to sew on the sewing machine early on in our marriage. He enjoyed it quite a bit and made lots of useful and neat stuff including a whole Alaskan outerwear outfit of some sort. He felt that if men knew how how much fun it was to use a machine that is easy to control and get these kind of results, they'd never let the women have the sewing machine. You guys are missing out. I know there are men who are confident enough with their masculinity to approach their significant other and say "Please show me how to use this thing, I have to make a mitt". And if you do take this bold step please enter your experience here so others may learn from your proactive approach to "canvas mitt sewing". Who knows, maybe your significant other will be so shocked by this charming new side of you that they will want to tear the buttons of your shirt with their teeth and insist in wild lovmaking then and there.

Last edited:
I don't have a sewing machine so I staple.I was wondering why nobody uses MEND IT advertised by Billie Mays on TV. Just think if you made it big enough you could also use it as a parachute

My canoe building instructor showed me a different, easier way.
Apply first coat, hand rub, apply second coat. Attach canvas to car buffer and let the buffer do the work. If you do a third coat, repeat.
As far as how you make the mits, the buffer method cuts down on the number of mits you have to make. And the results were far better then when I hand mitted the whole thing... and ... I saved a ton on elbow grease.
howard

Well, I'll admit to using an iron once. Somewhere I had heard that if you had a photocopy of something (in this case, a pattern for making a piece of furniture), you could put it topside down on the piece of wood, then it becomes an iron-on transfer... It sort of almost worked, although not well enough to repeat the process. So it makes a pretty good paperweight.

Interesting time saving furniture building technique

So if you iron the pattern onto the wood, is the wood supposed to become the piece of furniture? Think of the manufacturing cost savings..... Move over China!

That was the theory behind the ironing pattern. It just didn't transfer much of the pattern. Maybe the copier had the wrong kind of toner?

Canvas mitts

My Wife said her sewing needle wasn't heavy enough to sew canvas so I used shoe goo, worked fine.

Back